Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius facelift 2014?

Catlover

Was it 2014 there was a Prius facelift - what changed?  how can a face lift model be identified?

2012 was the facelift year for the Gen 3. Different tail lights, moved foglights and IIRC DRLs introduced. The nav system was changed to Touch & go too. I don't think there were any changes in 2014.

• Like 1

Thanks Keith.       Was there a time when JBL radio centre was the norm?         I forgot what IIRC means 

IIRC - If I Recall Correctly

The 2012 facelift did get DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) and electrically heated and folding door mirrors (my last Prius was a 2012).

Whilst the folding mirrors was very welcome and long overdue it wasn't well executed.  They only worked when the system was at least in ACCessory mode.  I regularly pressed the button to fold them just before switching off, but then couldn't use them to check if it was safe to open a door.

Given the electric windows stayed active for 20 sec or so or until a door was opened, it would have been soooo easy to make the mirrors operate the same way.

At least with the Gen 4 there's an Auto option, that sees them fold away when the car is locked from the outside, and open when unlocked.  Much better.

• Like 1

I love the Prius so much I don't know whether to hang on to it, or go for something younger/less miles with a view keeping longer, maybe even a Gen 3 plug in.   OR, hang on for couple years till early Gen 4's come on the market at a more affordable price (for me)

Now that I think of it, the 2012 facelift also included some chassis stiffening to address lots of complaints about rattles, creaks and groans plus a centre MFD.

The original Gen 3 didn't do it for me because  the top 2 specs had 17" wheels, and the basic model was missing a few things I wanted.

The 2012 model fixed this and when my dealer offered me a 6 month old T3 demonstrator with 3½k on the clock in the colour I wanted  complete with the (£1,000) optional SatNav for a good price I bit their hand off.  The only thing missing that was important to me was cruise control, but only the switch was missing and that was sorted by my dealer before I took delivery.

I had thought this was my ideal car and expected to keep it for the long term, but I was totally won over by the features of the Gen 4 - I listed them on another thread here:

JBL system was standard ln the T Spirit, not sure if it was a paid option on other models. 

I've been looking at a gen4 recently, and i just can't get used to the looks, even with 17"s the wheels look way too small, i know you don't see it when driving, but i think its something that'll always bug me....... So I've been looking at the Tesla S..... 

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

Thanks Keith.       Was there a time when JBL radio centre was the norm?         I forgot what IIRC means 

SWMBO's 2006 Gen 2 T4 has a JBL stereo, but I don't know when the first ones came out.

If I were you, I'd wait until you can afford a Gen 4, it's a totally different beast, much better than the previous generations.

1 hour ago, danowat said:

JBL system was standard ln the T Spirit, not sure if it was a paid option on other models. 

I've been looking at a gen4 recently, and i just can't get used to the looks, even with 17"s the wheels look way too small, i know you don't see it when driving, but i think its something that'll always bug me....... So I've been looking at the Tesla S..... 

I still like the shape of the Gen 3 but I also love my Gen 4's Zorro tail lights and the LED headlights. The rest of the front and rear bodywork looks a bit to busy a bit like an origami project, but the driving dynamics and fuel economy are phenomenal. I know I'm only showing 57 mpg on Fuelly, but that's virtually all short trips and urban/city driving.