Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smokey Auris D4D

The Moz

Hi, my 2009 2L D4D Auris with 96000 miles just started smoking heavily from the exhaust during acceleration in 2nd and 4th gears and being hesitant especially changing out of 2nd gear. I had a similar problem a few years ago with my previous 2LD4D Avensis and someone on the forum recommended a fuel treatment that definitely worked but I've forgotten the name!

I've been using Sainsbury diesel mostly of late which I had been reliably informed was Esso fuel, but maybe not any longer. How difficult is removing and cleaning the EGR valve? I can't find a Haynes manual for this car.

cheers

Hi Bud, 

Welcome to the group. 

EGR is incredibly easy to take off and clean. 

Would also see when the last time the fuel filter was changed as well. 

Sainsbury's hasnt been linked with a premium brand fuel for years and Esso fuel is still poor. All supermarkets buy fuel off the Exxon open market which is generally the fuel the big companies don't want or has been sat a while. 

No need to run fuel treatment really. Run a premium diesel in the auris they love it. 

I run Shell v power and it's been great on it over the last 80,000 miles 

Thanks for your quick response. I should have said I replaced the air filter, which was very dirty though the car was supposed to have had a full service when I bought it in January. I always felt Esso fuel was good stuff which is why I used it, obviously I was wrong! Esso no longer have service stations over here in Northern Ireland.

I have run a regular fuel treatment through it as I did with my Avensis which does seem to help. I've started putting BP into her. There's a Shell station nearby, will try them next fill up.

Haynes have no manual for this car, is there a good online guide you know of for removal/replacement of the EGR valve? I'm a decent DIY mechanic when I have a good guide like a Haynes manual or similar.

Cheers

Supermarket fuels account for 50% of all fuel sold in the UK - so it isn't that they buy the fuel that the branded fuels don't want or fuels that have been standing for a long time. Due to their share of the UK fuel market, supermarkets are equally as important customers to oil terminals as the branded fuels (BP, Shell, Esso, etc). 

Thanks Furtula, that doesn't look too difficult. Smoking much less now that I'm running BP through her. The problem I had before with my Avensis was due to using too much ASDA diesel, trying to save on fuel costs. Someone I trust told me Sainsbury was buying fuel off ESSO so I thought it should be better than normal supermarket stuff. Twice bitten!!!

I shall have a go at getting the valve off for a good clean anyway.

Cheers

there's an article in the newspapers  a few years ago in which tesco was selling sub-standard fuel which destroyed a mans car engine. he won a court battle and tesco still refused to pay up. in the end they only paid when bailiffs turned up at the said tesco store and were about to remove stock and equipment!!

Where are your facts from Frosty? Yet another load of bull...why don’t you just quit the forum’s I think everyone is fed up of you with your sarcastic posts and always saying the opposite to everyone else. Do one!?  Smudge 1991 is 100% correct. Esso fuel is quite poor theese days. The exxon open market has been regarded as the ‘waste’ fuel that the big companies don’t want for quite a couple of years now. It is usually sat a while hence why supermarkets are usually the first to encounter any fuel issues as they usually have the older fuel!

Il just wait till FROSTYBALLS deletes this comment because he is on here 24/7 with his sarcasm and ignorance to anyone else’s opinion! Or should I say Mike! This is the reason people don’t post on these forums. Little keyboard warriors like Mike. Has to have his say and deletes everyone else’s comments when he doesn’t even own a proper Toyota! 

The fact that supermarket fuels account for approx 50% of the UK market was obtained from both the RAC and from the Telegraph.

If you had actually read my post you would have seen that I didn't comment on the quality of Esso fuel. So get your facts straight before accusing others.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links