Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to get more hp in an Auris?

Álvaro Tarazona

Hello 

I have a 1.6 2017 Auris. I am looking for more hp, any suggestions for what would come first and how much of an improvement can be achieved? I have not found anything on Trd.

Thanks in advance 

take a look at this

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/tuning/car/toyota/auris-from-2012-onwards/1-6-zre181_-zre185_-132ps97kw-1598-ccm/

it doesn't give your car more bhp but it makes the drive so much better, i have tried the pedal box plus and it removes the lag so the

car responds quicker to the movement of the accelerator pedal and feels so much more lively, when you turn it off your car will

feel dead and you'll wonder how you drove the car before.

Dtuk also sell tuning boxes that can increase the power by up to 40% some models are bluetooth controlled so adjustments can

be made from you phone

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/products-overview/

there is an online chat so you can get advice from them directly.

How much extra power are you looking for? 5, 10, 20 hp? 

Best possible sparkplugs and wires, best air filter, maybe better exhaust system, and you could maybe get 7-8 hp. 

You also need to upgrade suspension, lower the car, improve overall handling to make it fun to drive. 

A non turbo engine is hard to improve, 132 hp is not bad, when it is'nt designed for racing, and replacing engine parts is expensive. 

5 minutes ago, nielshm said:

A non turbo engine is hard to improve, 132 hp is not bad, when it is'nt designed for racing, and replacing engine parts is expensive. 

The OP hasn't stated whether they have a petrol or diesel engine.

In the UK the 1.2T replaced the 1.6 as part of the 2015 facelift, but depending which country they reside in, that may not have been the case in their market. They may also have the BMW engined 1.6 diesel.

The eternal quest for more power:)

It all comes down to budget. If money is no option, you can turn anything into a HP monster. But when you have a limited budget, you might struggle.

Its going to be a combo of the tried and tested little things you can afford, and in all honesty, they wont do a huge amount in cars which arnt performance focused. Things likec: changing to a pod filter, larger exhaust, timing/cams, plugs, fueling, ecu maping, etc,etc.there is no magic "add 100hp" button you can buy, because i would have several if there was.

The other problem is how much your engine can take. Some engines cant handle 10hp more than they came with, breaking parts left and centre. Others can handle hundreds more, so ther is a limit for small cars that can only be beaten by using a mountain of platinum credit cards.

Personally I believe too much HP is bad  use for performance money. Its overrated and misunderstood. Too many people chase big numbers because of the fad, but if its badly done, its a waste of money. Too many times I've seen 600hp cars destory 1000 hp cars all day. It comes down to how much of it you can practically use and how the car is build-balanced overall.

My advise is to go for handling first. Coilvers, arms, swaybars and links, a big  brake package, properly good tyres, etc. The difference will be staggering. In a city car like an auris you could easily be able to smack any supercar round tight urban streets all day long.

If you have the option to save up for a faster, performance focused car though, id go that route. ( I didnt actually do that myself and wish i had lol)

1 hour ago, Supra_knight said:

The eternal quest for more power:)

Has always baffled me. If more power is required why not just buy a more powerful car in the first place?🙄

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The OP hasn't stated whether they have a petrol or diesel engine.

In the UK the 1.2T replaced the 1.6 as part of the 2015 facelift, but depending which country they reside in, that may not have been the case in their market. They may also have the BMW engined 1.6 diesel.

Is the 1.6 petrol, I am from Perú and the Auris comes in that Engine, only chose is between cvt and manual (witch I have).

an exhaust or even headers might be good alternatives, however I have not found one, I just found for the 1.2 turbo or the 1.8 for the US Corolla IM.

i think the main issue is that the gearing is too tall, 4th is an overdrive (can reach 180kmh in 4th). Would be nice to have a sporty version of the Auris with a close gear box 

I don't know how they set up and supply them in Peru, but in Britain the Auris just isn't that sort of a car. :cool: My 1.6 Auris Touring (2014) tends to spin its wheels at take-off even with just 132 bhp. (Although that did improve when I swapped the tyres for Michelin Primacy 4.)

You would need coilovers and better dampers for a start, and probably wider wheels before you could get any more power down onto the road. Engine-wise, I daresay there's stuff you could do, but it won't ever be like my old VW Passat, which some people tune all the way up to 300 bhp. (I didn't.) My Toyota's more of a quiet, comfy barge with loads of storage and a good build quality. If I want thrills, I'll buy another motorbike. :angry:

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, but I think you might be saying goodbye to your five year warranty?

Hi,

I was wondering, has anyone tried DTUK® PEDAL BOX PLUS on a touring hybrid car, the auto gearbox is nothing but exceptional to me

especially as soon as there is a small slope... 😕

Would that improve a little bit the feeling?..

DTUK® PEDAL BOX PLUS

4 hours ago, Alex T said:

Hi,

I was wondering, has anyone tried DTUK® PEDAL BOX PLUS on a touring hybrid car, the auto gearbox is nothing but exceptional to me

especially as soon as there is a small slope... 😕

Would that improve a little bit the feeling?..

DTUK® PEDAL BOX PLUS

i have used it on my old 63 plate & my current 17 plate lexus is300h

and the differnece is night and day between before and after, the throttle response

is improved 100% once you've fitted it you wont turn it off.

the easiest way to describe the improvement is as follows :-

eco =  normal setting for throttle response

normal = sport setting for throttle response

sport = amazing

you dont get anymore bhp just improved throttle response its amazing what the little pedal box plus can do,

and the best thing is when in eco you have the better response but the car is still using eco settings.

it will be the best £200 you've spent ,you wont be returning it guaranteed.

thanks for the info, I'm tempted 🙂

57 minutes ago, Alex T said:

thanks for the info, I'm tempted 🙂

just go for it Alex you'll have no regrets

the only thing i would do is to take a photo of the plug that goes onto the accelerator pedal

and email it to andrew @ dtuk he's the boss is really knowledgeable

on the auris and the IS3000h there are 2 different plugs for the accelerator pedal

but only 1 of them will fit i found this out when i 1st bought mine i think there is a black and a grey plug

they are basically mirror images of one another.

On 6/26/2018 at 11:00 PM, eygo said:

just go for it Alex you'll have no regrets

the only thing i would do is to take a photo of the plug that goes onto the accelerator pedal

and email it to andrew @ dtuk he's the boss is really knowledgeable

on the auris and the IS3000h there are 2 different plugs for the accelerator pedal

but only 1 of them will fit i found this out when i 1st bought mine i think there is a black and a grey plug

they are basically mirror images of one another.

cheers, will do. 
Btw do you know if it is safe/possible to lower a bit the touring sport suspensions?

Alexandre here is a well reknown motorsports company in the uk

follow the link below and enter your car details they do have 20mm lowering kits

for your car but in the hybrid version.

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/lowering-springs

Thanks for the links, will check this carefully. 

That said I just had a quick  look at the rear suspensions on my auristouring from 2018 and it does not seem to have springs oO