Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remote locking

xzirri

Hello good people of Toyota owner's club! The other day when I returned to my car after some grocery shopping I couldn't unlock the car with my key fob. At first I thought the key was out of Battery but that isn't the case. I tried with both of the keys, and one of them has a brand new Battery.

So next, I thought it must have been a fuse. However, if I'm not mistaken, it's the same fuse for the AC, and the AC works excellently. Is there another fuse? Or could it be something else?

Hi Johan.

The fact it happened with both fobs it could literally be that you were parked close to a local say mobile phone booster pylon, or local electric cables, i.e. I am saying local outside interference. Try parking elsewhere and see what the results are...…………...I have known cars not to start, tow them down the road for 1000 metres and they magically do so it's worth you trying the parking elsewhere bit. I am assuming the car is ok outside your house? Regards, Mike.

No, it doesn't work at all now, so something is wrong. Either it's a fuse or the remote sensor is dead, I guess 🤔

Hi Johan.

Have you got a OBD2 reader just incase it has thrown up any fault codes?

Mike.

• Like 1

Not yet but I might as well get one 😄 Btw how likely is it that all my remotes just got disassociated for some reason? And if so, do you know how I can register them again?

Hi Johan.

Now I am out of my league, i'd need a main dealer to help me with that one, sorry mate.

Mike.

Thanks anyways mate, you've been helpful! I'll get myself an ODB2 scanner, hopefully I'll find something there.

Hi Johan.

Good luck with buying an OBD2 machine, they only cost £10 which is only about 11 euro's, it might show up nothing but you can use it on many cars you may own in the future. 

Worst case scenario is you have to go to a dealer, ok yes now you are spending more money but at least they will get it right rather than waste money on back street places.

Good luck.

Mike.

There are couple of similar topics on this,  hopefully yours is similar issue.

52 minutes ago, furtula said:

There are couple of similar topics on this,  hopefully yours is similar issue.

The fix to resync the keys is for the Mk1 T22 Avensis from 1997 to 2003. Also there was the dome fuse issue, which again only worked for the T22 Avensis. Toyota changed body control system, wiring and fuse setup for the T25 Avensis, so some of the old fixes no longer work. 
The fix needs help from somebody with experience with Avensis T25 remote locking and key programming. 

I am sure I read somewhere, that the keys sometimes fell apart, the micro switches stopped working. I have seen one in person. Yet my old Mk1 '98 Avensis had both keys in good working order (plus the grey valet key), and I only had to resync them once, as instructed in the owners manual. The Mk2 T25 does not have this luxury.

This will need and auto electrician/locksmith to get your central locking working.    

4 hours ago, Konrad C said:

The fix to resync the keys is for the Mk1 T22 Avensis from 1997 to 2003. Also there was the dome fuse issue, which again only worked for the T22 Avensis. Toyota changed body control system, wiring and fuse setup for the T25 Avensis, so some of the old fixes no longer work. 
The fix needs help from somebody with experience with Avensis T25 remote locking and key programming. 

I am sure I read somewhere, that the keys sometimes fell apart, the micro switches stopped working. I have seen one in person. Yet my old Mk1 '98 Avensis had both keys in good working order (plus the grey valet key), and I only had to resync them once, as instructed in the owners manual. The Mk2 T25 does not have this luxury.

This will need and auto electrician/locksmith to get your central locking working.    

I read through those posts and they seem like T22 specific things, as you stated.

However, I don't think the keys are causing the issue. My significant other uses one of the keys and I use the other one, and neither of them work now. I find it hard to believe something happened to both keys at the same time. I'm guessing it's an issue with the car itself, and sadly, I don't know how the remote system works. I'm guessing it's a receiver of some sorts connected to the central locking system which either needs reprogramming or replacing, and since I don't know how I can test it, I guess I'll have to visit Mr. T 😔

I'm still going to pick up an ODB2 scanner though, to save me some trouble in the future.

• Like 1

Update: I work with IT and I thought "What's the standard solution for 90 % of all IT problems?" The answer is a reboot, so I decided to disconnect and reconnect the Battery. Worked like a charm! I no longer have to fiddle with the key in the dark 😁 Thanks to all of you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Johan.

I am sooooo pleased for you mate, we all know that response/repair just a shame no one else thought of it before.

100% well done.

Mike.

Good result 😄

We should all remember this (a reboot) as first possible solution!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1