Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sticky Handbrake Maybe ???

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Dear All

I understand that ive been on this forum numerous times complaining about niggles with Aygo, i am sure you’ll agree lol, but i am not prepared to give up on my baby as i love her so dearly, she is so much fun to drive.

Anyway, recent issue, from take off, my handbrake is definitely down, but the vehicle refuses to pull off...it does not happen always, maybe 2-3 times a week, once or twice on those days, its as if the handbrakes on still, once ive pulled away it seems ok but a bit of a draggy feeling.

It got me thinking of my high fuel consumption thread that became quite popular, could it be because of a braking issue that im getting 250miles on a full tanker ???

Since purchasing the vehicle in jan this year, i have had fitted new front discs and pads, at the rear i removed the hubs to check condition of handbrake shoes which appeared fine so i cleaned the area up with some brake cleaner, painted my hubs, and away i went. Other than this i havent touched a thing else as far as brake issues go.

Please input guys. Thank you.

If you think your rear brakes may be binding, after finishing your journey just put your hand (carefully) on the rear wheels (the steel not the rubber) if they are hot then yes you could have a problem with a sticky handbrake (be aware that they will normally be quite warm anyway). The best way is to jack the car up a little so the wheel is just off the ground then spin it. Repeat on the other side. You'll soon have your answer.

• Like 1

Doubt its a sticky handbrake, but could be a sticking wheel cylinder.

For a long time, if I left my Aygo for more than a day or so I would always get a light clunk from the rear brakes when reversing off the drive, as if they had lightly siezed on. Just put it down to one of those things, a bit like when the front discs get surface rust after a few days and grind a little the first time you apply the brakes.

On the last mot, it failed on 'offside rear brakes binding' and 'insufficient brake force' on the same wheel. I was shocked, as only 2 days before I had had the rear wheels off to check brake shoe thickness and other pre mot stuff I do to avoid a failure (and subsequent re test within a week). The wheel was spinning fine at the time. I got the car home and sure enough I could barely spin the wheel and couldnt move one of the brake pistons on the offside cylinder, even when hitting it with a hammer. The other piston on the same cylinder was fine. No problem I thought, just fit a new cylinder then cue the usual Aygo problems of siezed bolts and even the bleed nipple sheared off. Angry and frustrated, I got it to my local garage who fitted new cylinders to both sides just to be sure. All fine now and no light siezing when left for a week or more.

I didnt notice any effect on my fuel consumption.

• 2 weeks later...

If its not the piston it could be the brake shoes themselves.

The handbrake cable pulls a "lever" that pivots on the brake shoe. If the pivot / lever is sticking due to rust or general dirt build up it will leave the shoe pushed on against the drum when the cable is released (ie handbrake down).

As brake shoes wear so slowly you will probably find they have been on for ages (compared with the numerous front brake changes you will do) hence the sticking / rusting issues.

Take the Shoes out and make sure the lever moves freely. If not, try to free it up or replace the shoes (I did the latter on mine as the shoes were the originals. The car had done 75k and no matter what I did the level was jammed solid)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links