Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3rd rav 4 bought and problems

Groovycatmedia

Hi! First post , just bought my third rav 4 following my first in 98 and my 2nd in 04 

i just got a d4d t180 2006 and sadly after two weeks noticed I was losing coolant at an alarming rate, 

my local garage took a look and immediately said it was the head gasket and advised me to take it back 

trading standards said as i had bought it from a dealer and it was under a month then the dealer had to do something , he agreed to repair it and has given me a few dates from for me to get it back (said it's a big job) I love the car so would rather it's fixed than return 

he said he had to send it off to be skimmed ? I am a mechanical dunce, have read a few posts on here and wonder if I should get it checked out further when I get it back 

any advice is greatly appreciate thank you 

Peter 

Head gasket failure was an issue for what was thought to be a small percentage of the AD series diesel engines, and Toyota covered the issue on a goodwill basis for 7 years/111.847 miles from first registration - now expired for all affected vehicles. See 

At the time, Toyota said that the head couldn't be skimmed and their solution was replacement 3/4 engines. However, some have since had the heads skimmed, although we haven't heard how successful this has been in many instances. 

31 minutes ago, Groovycatmedia said:

he said he had to send it off to be skimmed ? I am a mechanical dunce, have read a few posts on here and wonder if I should get it checked out further when I get it back 

Hi Peter, welcome to TOC ☺️

As Frosty say the official Toyota line is that these should not be skimmed although we have heard of people who have & seemed OK, at least in the short term.

However, the head-gasket failure is a symptom of other issues (see the thread that Frosty linked) - unless those are addressed it may well recur in the future when you wouldn't be covered by consumer law/warranty.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and replies! Benefit of hindsight I wish I'd paid for an RAC check ! But it's a Toyota (! That was my thought!) 

Would it be worth getting it looked at once the head gasket repair has been done ? Sorry if my phone questions are basic ? Are there other issues to look for if I got someone to give it the once over ? 

there a recommended coolant for this model ? I used the halfrauds thing and went through two bottles before the problem revealed itself 

I understand from trading standards the "one month" clock ticks from the beginning once I get it back , but wanna be prepared 

the Toyota pink long-life coolant is the recommended one iirc.

You have 30 days to reject but a 6-month period from the purchase of the vehicle during which the dealer is liable for faults. https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-second-hand-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

How many miles on it, when was it last serviced, has it ever had replacement, DPF, injectors, clutch/DMF etc.? Is your proposed usage suited to a diesel? I am very much on record as not believing in running modern emission-equipped, common-rail  turbodiesels (from any manufacturer) outside of warranty unless you are prepared for the potentially large bills should they go wrong.

I wish EU would have such regulations, it's like a flea market over here.

For my first car i went to a biggest used car place here, they have over 7k cars for sale.

I paid 4k euros for the car, and got 10 page long contract, after i checked it later on it said basically i'm buying a scrapped vehicle, not in running condition and they don't vouch for anything, this is their standard contract. After that you can sue them all you want. They also gave me winter tires and wheels for totally different car, when i went to replace it they said contract stated i will get 16" wheels and tires, but it never stated i'll get them for the mark of the vehicle i bought.

There’s plenty of decent RAVs on the market - I wouldn’t even contemplate getting involved in the repair of this car if it’s possible to reject. This is probably a case of an owner getting rid of a car with the dreaded head gasket issue.

Repairing this engine is fraught with potential problems - many garages will not be familiar with the issues and simply see this as a normal gasket replacement  job. In any event the dealer will be trying to minimise his outlay and if the root cause isn’t addressed - the failure is likely to be repeated.

Before buying a RAV of this era (2006 - 2009) - check the VIN with Toyota to see if a replacement engine has been fitted - if not, tread carefully!

Reject this vehicle mate, it will only break ur heart and ur pocket to - in the future I imagine.

Thanks for the advice 

I'm gutted - really liked the car and was happy he agreed to fix it too it's done 121k but is in fantastic condition (bodywork/interior) 

I'll get in touch with Toyota re the VIN that's a good idea, is there a number please / specific dept ? 

A Toyota dealer should be able to have a look at the service history to check whether or not the car has had previous issues. May require proof of ownership.

Really - does it matter if the engine was replaced or repaired previously, it's doing what it's doing right now regardless, and the extended warranty is finished with. Which is why i'd reject it ASAP.  Load's more of them out there. And go for the younger model if possible, one from after Toyota solved the problem with those engines. Don't get attached to a lemon someone else got rid of. Not worth it.

Thanks asking 

still not got it back, apparently skimming wasn’t enough .. 

told me to to pick up next Saturday no 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links