Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Volume of Brake Fluid? 1Litre?

astoy

Hi,

I'm going to do a Brake Fluid Change in the next few days on a D4D 2.2L Diesel Toyota Avensis, 07 Reg.

Can anyone advise as to how much brake fluid I should buy in to do the change?

Thanks.

-Andy.

1 x Litre should be fine, DOT 5.1 fluid 

• Thanks 1

I've got 500ml of Dot4 from my other car, is there a big difference between dot 4 & dot 5.1?

I was just going to buy another 500ml to 1 litre of that.

DOT 4 will be OK, DOT 5.1 is for later cars that have ABS/TRC etc, its has a higher boiling point. DOT 4 and DOT5.1 will mix, HOWEVER please note DOT 5 does NOT mix as it is silicone based. So, either get another bottle of DOT 4 or upgrade to 5.1 

• Thanks 2

Hi,

You say you have got some fluid left over from your other car, but don't forget if it was opened as its Hygroscopic it will be able to absorb moisture from the air which can render it next to useless.

Always buy fresh and check the manufactured date printed on the bottle before buying in case its old stock in the shop, eg I would not buy any with a date more than a year old.    If not Toyotas own then I can recommend Comma.

• Thanks 1

Hi OldCodger,

Thanks for the reminder, the bottle has been open 3 days now, and kept sealed this is why I'm doing the Toyota now too, as it's more efficient to use it all at the same time.

Good note for anyone reading this thread though: don't store opened bottles of Brake Fluid.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2018 at 9:28 AM, oldcodger said:

You say you have got some fluid left over from your other car, but don't forget if it was opened as its Hygroscopic it will be able to absorb moisture from the air which can render it next to useless.

Small point, and a question.

When you press the brake pedal, fluid goes down the tubes to the brakes.  When you release, the fluid returns. This is very little amount with disc brakes, but a bit more with drum brakes.

The brake fluid reservoir has a breathing hole in the cap.  When fluid goes down the pipes, air is drawn in and when it returns, air is expelled. As the engine bay warms up, the fluid expands and expels air, and when it cools down, air is drawn in.

This means, that brake fluid is always exposed to air in use.

Is this all true, or am I talking rubbish?  :blush:

Mick.

Perfectly correct, which is exactly how moisture gets into the brake fluid. I've heard of some cars that have a flexible membrane built into the fluid reservoir cap. This goes up and down with the fluid level, but reduces the amount of air (and water vapour) entering the fluid.

• Like 1

If you are worried about corrosion try this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006DHTY9C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got 5 litres, I know too much but it is 5 litres of 4+ with oxygen and corrosion inhibitors and it is a big name with an air tight top. Though I did check the specifications for my avensis from the hand book, probably OK for the yaris.

Though you might need a flexible funnel to put it in, I did it the easy way and just disconnectes the pipe underneath the reservoir, as my break pedal was too stiff. But I still had some vibration in the petals which I got rid of by spraying wd40 onto the alloys as I found break cleaner to be a much weaker and feeble.

But they all are OK except for 5.0 which is for planes.

3 hours ago, m456an said:

But I still had some vibration in the petals which I got rid of by spraying wd40 onto the alloys as I found break cleaner to be a much weaker and feeble.

But they all are OK except for 5.0 which is for planes.

Are you aware WD40 contains oil (not much) which is the last thing you want on braking surfaces?

Edited by bathtub tom
Sunday, brain having weekend off.

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

Are you aware WD40 contains oil (not much) which is the last thing you want on braking surfaces?

I know you are not supposed to use it. I am not using logic, but it sorted out my break vibration.