Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is this the final nail in the coffin for the Avensis.

estate

The Avenis was supposed to be staying in production until existing factory orders have been completed. The Camry was the United State's best seller until 2017 - when it was surpassed by the current Rav4. Presumably there will not be a Tourer version

See also

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/103794/toyota-camry-to-return-to-uk-in-2019-as-avensis-is-axed

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-camry-return-britain-mondeo-hybrid-rival?utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=Enews Bulletin&utm_content=ACAR ENews Bulletin - subs ad (21.06.2018)::article2_readmore&utm_source=20180621

I have driven Camrys in the US very recently for 1000s of miles (not the brand new version though). Cabin cubbies/storage etc. was better than current Avensis & cabin seemed noticeably wider although the external dimensions that I can find say that there is only an inch in the external dimensions. Internal plastics not as good as current Avensis but I believe that is improved on the latest version.

2.5l hybrid power train would suit me fine but if there is no estate version it will be a non-starter for me next time I am in the market (might have to be a RAV 😜).

I wonder where "our" Camrys will be built? Presumably Japan as RHD?

• Like 1

The last ones that came were built in America. 2.2 petrol the second best Toyota I ever had, the best being a Supra.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 2:55 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Avenis was supposed to be staying in production until existing factory orders have been completed. The Camry was the United State's best seller until 2017 - when it was surpassed by the current Rav4. Presumably there will not be a Tourer version

See also

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/103794/toyota-camry-to-return-to-uk-in-2019-as-avensis-is-axed

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/toyota-camry-return-britain-mondeo-hybrid-rival?utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=Enews Bulletin&utm_content=ACAR ENews Bulletin - subs ad (21.06.2018)::article2_readmore&utm_source=20180621

Wonder why you presume there won't be a Tourer version? Absolutely adore my 2010 Avensis Tourer and would certainly consider moving on to a Camry Hybrid Tourer if such a model was built and introduced into the UK.

I can't spot such a model in USA and Australian Toyota sites, so maybe your comment is spot on. Such a pity if it was the case, as the only alternative would be the smaller Auris version I guess

36 minutes ago, speedwaydthom said:

I can't spot such a model in USA and Australian Toyota sites, so maybe your comment is spot on. Such a pity if it was the case, as the only alternative would be the smaller Auris version I guess

The new Auris/Corolla will be going on sale next year and will be larger than the current model - as will the Tourer. 

On 7/15/2018 at 12:16 PM, speedwaydthom said:

Wonder why you presume there won't be a Tourer version? 

because there is no demand in it's main market (USA) & not enough in other markets to pay for the engineering, type approvals etc. & return a profit.

The current  Auris Tourer has a larger theoretical load capacity with seats down than the Avensis Tourer although I find the Avensis the more practical load space.

Thanks very much for the comments. Shame about the economics, but at the end of the day, Toyota ain't a charity and what's the point if there's no bottom line.

Might need to look at new Peugeot 508 SW hybrid, but have no strong appetite to go back to French cars even though I have very fond memories of an old XM turbo which was a beast (and supremely comfortable)

the avensis is reliable. I've had 6 years of motoring without a single issue. more than can be siad for the 2 mercedes my wife has owed!

it simply a Badge issue in the UK, people want Audi, BMW, Merc, Jag etc.  Toyota has been fighting a losing battle. 

However, this does mean there are incredible deals just now on the avensis 🙂

1 hour ago, giffardo said:

it simply a badge issue in the UK, people want Audi, BMW, Merc, Jag etc.  Toyota has been fighting a losing battle. 

Not just Toyota & not just in the UK but Europe-wide - even Ford is rumoured to be looking at dropping the Mondeo.

Went to see a new avensis today and also saw an a4 avant. Shocked at the poor quality of the Audi, rough painted side sills and small boot. Sat in new avensis tourer and much preferred the interior actually. Just need to get the right deal on one now..

On 6/21/2018 at 2:55 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

See also

Hi i have been having some issues with my 2009  avensis 2.0 d4d saloon just had all 4 injectors changed but still loss of power when going up hill and black smoke any idea the injectors have been coded. Help would be very much appriciated. 

Hi Mohin, welcome to TOC 🙂

You should start your own thread for your issues as it is off-topic in this one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links