Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

hole in air intake

m456an

Still not driving my yaris as insurance starts next week so o am doing some basic servicing and I thought I will clean the air intake as it is easy to take out. Then I noticed a hole just after where the filter comes in. I am guessing it is an illegal cold intake modification.

Should I put cellotape over it?

Edited by m456an
Grammar mistakes

Hi, does it look like a hole made by Toyota or one someone has made it in the piping with say a penknife or even a drill bit?

If you can enclose a photo online it would be helpful so we all can see.

Regards, Mike.

Yes I will take a photo tommorow as I am at work now.

Hi.

From what you have said the hole sounds suspicious and perhaps gaffa tape would be a stronger repair if it needs one at all...….the photo will of course show better.

Mike.

• Haha 1

Tape it up with gorilla tape - its very, very probably this 😞

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/index.php?/topic/12181-drilled-airbox/&page=1

Yes - people actually do this and call it modification😞 : "Drill holes in your airbox/intake-pipe (after the air filter) to get the sound of an induction kit and increase the horespower"

I'm a fan of modification, I believe all cars should be modified. Most wont agree with me, most wont understand it, and most don't know facts from myth when it comes to modifications.

But this is not modification, its just taking a drill to an air-box because they think a 10mm hole or two will actually do something for performance and/or sound - for a car not designed for performance and/or sound.

Even if there is a very slightly provable gain(I call BS), I can tell you what it definitely will do - allow in hot unfiltered air - Don't go driving in conditions where rain, dust, dirt, condensation, or other foreign material could get into the engine bay - because then its going in your engine. Its bypassing your intakes protection system with a hole like this, and over time your engine will learn to hate you with a passion, measurable in credit card debt.

It would have been better for the previous owner to just get a proper high flow cold air kit and filter, which can even be done stealthily, professionally and cheaply.
It will do a better job, actually provide some very minor gains, and prevent unfiltered air getting into the engine.

See below for a bad example.. very bad... "A-YANK-Murica" bad - Might as well disconnect the filter than destroy the airbox:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51179

"Here's basically what I did...goes all the way around the lower portion of the intake box
IMG_6925.jpg
IMG_3887.jpg"

I had a car (yonks ago) that suffered from carburettor icing. Found someone had drilled the, metal, filter housing, bypassing the hot air inlet. Drove me mad for a while. All I had to do was stop and light a !Removed!, by which time the engine had warmed enough to melt the ice.

• Thanks 1

I would need some strong tape.

15296491958118479943573588744929.jpg

1529649234171919850485550838482.jpg

Hi M456an.

Yea it's just a bodged up job and it's just as you described. If you use any strong tape I suggest you put it on the outside of the box after cleaned it very well first with some sort of spirit type cleaner to get it as clean as possible and degreasing it to make sure the tape sticks well. Why I am saying put the tape on the outside incase if you put it n the inside and the tape became unstuck it could get sucked into the intake system and mess up your internal accelerator flap and do serious damage to your engine. Another way would be to get a smallish piece of round metal like a 2p coin, haha and using appropriate glue like clear adhesive and gluing  it over the hole, on the outside again, even using tape as well to start with until the glue has 'gone off' and it is doing it's job.

Regards Mike.

• Thanks 1

Might be easy to just use a black plastic bung/plug and glue/tape it over on the outside. 
With the right size plug and re-drilling to clean it up, there would be zero risk with a good strong seal, and make it look absolutely factory finish - Toyota themselves would think it normal.
You might even be able to find a screw in plug to avoid the glue/ tape.

I'm thinking anything like these, which can be trimmed to suit:

image.png.3c355741965ff041ba3da3b500f04d71.pngimage.png.06b748e7a00c6733f18959bd9a113094.png

11 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

All I had to do was stop and light a !Removed!, by which time the engine had warmed enough to melt the ice.

It would seem a moderator objects to the common abbreviation for a cigarette - sheesh!

• Haha 2

it will be an automatic filter rather than a moderator. Try putting in the name of a large town in Lincolnshire on the M180 ... 🤣

• Like 2

Or even the device that shuts mains water off! Stop with a male bird after it.😂

I expect it doesn't like the name of that old bicycle with a very large front wheel and a smaller back one, named after an old penny and quarter of one.

i have a 2004 1.0l Yaris, same hole as this.. i taped it up just to make sure it is only taking cold air in.. instead of sucking in a little bit of warm air from straight on the engine (this to me at least on my one seems like a molded hole manufacturer fitted) because the hole makes warm air hit the air filter before the intake. I just cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and used some gorilla tape

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links