Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking break light flickering

Danni F

Hello everyone!

I'm having some issues with my Toyota Avensis 1999 2,0 Sol 129hk the parking break light has started to flicker and going on/off when i accelerate. In the beginning it was first if i reached above 3.500 revolutions. But not it is almost there at all times, even if i just reach 1.000.

Does anyone know if there's a sensor that is broken?

I don't own an Avensis, but, the parking brake (handbrake) warning light is often also used as a 'low brake fluid' warning light.

This would fit in with your symptoms.  The sensor is almost certainly in the brake fluid container lid.  Some very gradual drop in fluid level follows on from normal brake pad wear being accomodated by extra fluid behind the caliper piston.

But, (when the brakes were last checked?) I would get this looked into with some urgency.

It may be nothing more than worn brake pads and a lack of someone topping up the fluid.  But if the fluid drops too far then you will have no footbrake. This is your early warning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Hi Gerg,

Thanks for your comment!

I actually got this fixed today, and as you say it was the break fluid, that just went below the (Low) marker.

So everything is fixed now! 🙂 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gerg said:

I don't own an Avensis, but, the parking brake (handbrake) warning light is often also used as a 'low brake fluid' warning light.

This would fit in with your symptoms.  The sensor is almost certainly in the brake fluid container lid.  Some very gradual drop in fluid level follows on from normal brake pad wear being accomodated by extra fluid behind the caliper piston.

But, (when the brakes were last checked?) I would get this looked into with some urgency.

It may be nothing more than worn brake pads and a lack of someone topping up the fluid.  But if the fluid drops too far then you will have no footbrake. This is your early warning.

Great advice Gerg. :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Danni F said:

Hi Gerg,

Thanks for your comment!

I actually got this fixed today, and as you say it was the break fluid, that just went below the (Low) marker.

So everything is fixed now! 🙂 

Danni, Keep an eye on the brake fluid, plus you should check the whole brake system as Gerg stated in his reply!

If you car is the Avensis is earlier version with drum brakes, the wheel cylinders inside the drums may have a leak. The drums need to be removed for inspection. :driving: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links