Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris starter motor

rushy45

My 2013 Auris 1.6 petrol auto  with 20,000 miles has started very intermittently getting a slight grinding noise from starter motor, only noticed it from cold, does not seem to do it often,  Is the starter motor covered by the 5 year warranty or is it a wear and tear item,  I only have 6 days left before my warranty runs out, it probably won’t do it if I take it in.

Take it to Toyota anyway. Tho it's not hard to get it repaired urself. But hopefully it's covered, that's what a warranty is for, even if there is only a day left on it. 

Absolutely take it in. Even if it doesn't do it there and then, the fault has been recorded should it pack up at some later date. If the noise is noticeable only from cold then try and make a recording of it and let the service dept hear what the problem is.

Got it booked in for next Wednesday, last day of warranty,  wondering if it’s worthwhile to take out a extended warranty, will see what sort of price it is, think I seen somewhere you get 2 years for the price of 1.

That's good, I hope you get the issue resolved. 

Only you can decide on the extended warranty but fwiw I tend to shy away from such offers. Speaking just of cars, our experience of Toyota over many years would not have benefitted from any kind of extra cover. The only non warranty repair I have ever had to have was replacement of a leaky shock absorber back when I had the Corolla TSport and the total bill came to around £113 IIRC. 

Will let you know how it goes, also find out what sort of price the extended warranty is, probably mouth watering amount.

• 2 weeks later...

Going in tomorrow to have new starter motor fitted under warranty.

During 2017, Toyota were offering two years for the price of one on their extended warranty - don't know whether the offer is still current. The extended warranty includes Toyota Roadside Assistance for the extended warranty period. So, if the offer is still current, it may not be as expensive as you think.

9 hours ago, rushy45 said:

Going in tomorrow to have new starter motor fitted under warranty.

That's great news.