Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sills rusting from inside

mic

Hi All

What looked like surface rust on the outside (sill in front of the rear wheel) ended up in a hole where the sill had clearly rusted from the inside. Also found a small amount of mud (dried up in the hot weather). I checked the other side and this is still solid although when I removed the rubber bung on the sill and stuck my finger in the cavity I could feel dried up mud in there as well. 

There clearly appears to be water and dirt ingress into the cavity but I cannot for the life of me figure where this is coming from.  I have checked the rear wheel arches and all looks good. 

Any ideas on how this can be happening and also whats the best corrosion treatment?

Thanks

IMG_7671.JPG

According to your profile you have two Aygos - which Aygo has the rust and what year is it? Your profile shows 2003, yet the Aygo wasn't introduced until 2005.

If you check your service and warranty book, that should indicate how long your corrosion warranty is for. Usually the corrosion warranty covers rust from inside out, and, if the car is still within the corrosion warranty, I would get it checked by a dealer to determine whether it is corrosion from inside out and whether the corrosion warranty covers the issue.

Hi - thanks for your reply.

I have changed the profile - the 2003 was from when I had a RAV4. The Aygo in question is a 2006 so still within the 12 year perforation warranty however would I be right in saying that in order the warranty to be valid the can must have been regularly serviced at a dealer or other garage. I have had the car for about 3 years and always serviced it myself so it does not have a "full" history. 

Not sure whether that applies to the corrosion warranty. I'd still get it inspected by a Toyota dealer - the worst they can say is that it isn't covered.

• Like 1

Hi - thanks again

I have repaired the one side (glass fibre etc) but will take it in. Lets see what they say. I can already see various excuses will be forthcoming!

It would probably have been better to leave the repair until the dealer had seen the corrosion.

you're right but hadn't thought about the warranty.

On the Auris there are two plastic oblong plugs or bungs that seem to be a dealer fitment when the car is delivered (PDI inspection). I found mine in the glovebox and fortunately the bag they were in had a diagram or instructions (its 8yrs ago now) of where they locate. As far as I remember they were on the rear sill somewhere. They just push and clip into place sealing the hole which was around 1.5 inches long I guess. 

2 hours ago, mic said:

Hi - thanks again

I have repaired the one side (glass fibre etc) but will take it in. Lets see what they say. I can already see various excuses will be forthcoming!

can you fibre glass a sill on an aygo ,i'm asking incase the sill is a structual part of the car

if it is, it should have a welded repair to maintain the strength of the car.

• 1 month later...

Putting filler of any sort in a sill on a Aygo is a mot failure.It will be near suspension or seat belt mounting so must be a welded repair i am afraid.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links