Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dip Stick Snapped

GamerInAMask93

2004 1.0 Petrol Yaris

Hey all, the dipstick seems to have corroded and became weak with age or maybe previous owner was a bit heavy handed.. I went to check the oil and found that after about two inches of dipstick.. it has snapped.. leaving the handle part in my hand.

quick bit of advice needed:
Is it possible to remove the dipstick without having to drop the entire sump? (I would really want to not do this because I have a slanted driveway and do not trust the jack) or is it more of a "well you fked it get er done" type deal?

I was thinking about trying to find a tool that could slide into the dipstick hole and maybe grab it but yet to find one small enough that can get as long as that.

If you mean it snapped a couple of inches from the top, then I should think it will be quite safe leaving it there, except you have no way of checking your oil level!

If the bottom couple of inches snapped off, then it's most likely in the bottom of the sump. I've heard of cases where it sits there quite happily without doing any harm.

i think you can unscrew the dipstick tube from the engine block and be able to get at the remainder of the dip stick and remove it before getting a replacement,

when driving keep the top of the dipstick in place or it will spit oil all over the engine

• Like 1

The tube should either pull out and have a o-ring at the bottom, or screw out.

Since it snapped only 2 inches in, maybe try to find some way of getting it out without taking things apart.

For example lubed plastic tubing with one of those strong magnets inside might have enough force to pull it out, and since the magnet is in lubed plastic tubing, that should fit snugly, should help reduce snags, just a thought anyway. 

I would try to be creative first.

• Like 1

Hmmmm....

Dean's thoughts prompt the following rather simple suggestion.  I'm unsure of the size & shape of the dipstick, but why not try pushing a short length of plastic tube into the dip-stick's metal tube, and force it on to the lost dipstick.  You can get the likes of windscreen washer tubing in various small diameters.  Then withdraw whilst holding your breath! 

Thanks for the replys, it is two inches of handle.. the rest is in the engine, i will try to remove the dipstick from the small tube and post back results.. now to see if i can remove the tube or find some things in the house to help me remove the remainder of the stick (the shape is the fully plastic "+" shape by the way).

today is going to be a good day off... sigh but its too damn warm

Dipstick is plastic? Weird, did not know that.

Use a stick, pop some hot glue (but be careful not to put too much to clog the tube), or some super glue, push, and hope it holds on.

Good luck.

Maybe you can straighten out a metal clothes rack  to..... get the plastic out. At least it can be used to measure oil level till you fix it, or maybe the local garage would have some answers.

But make a little hook with some pliers at the end of the metal rack.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I bought a yaris last year and it had exactly the same issue. The solution I had was a little crude, but proved effective, and is as follows:

1 - Get an old pencil, or other thin rod like object that has a flat end (or can be made to have a flat end)

2 - File, cut, sand, whatever to get the pencil to reach down to the top of the dipstick, enough to push on it a couple mm

3 - Clean the end of the dipstick, in my case by taping kitchen paper to the end of the pencil

4 - Put some super glue on the end of the pencil, let it dry, and keep doing that until the superglue on the end of the pencil no longer absorbs

5 - Get a drop or two of super glue on the end of the pencil, push the pencil in and on to the dipstick, hold it there for a couple mins (I used a rubber band)

6 - The fun part, pull that sucker out. Carefully.

It took me a couple tries, but it came out pretty easy, If nothing else works, this is worth a shot imo.

Good luck, Michael.

• 1 year later...

You need to remove the dipstick tube, then replace the broken dipstick.

Removal is pretty basic; one 10mm bolt holds it in place, follow down from the top of the tube and you will see the bolt through the black plastic intake manifold. Once the bolt is off, the tube will free up and out by rotating it from the hole on the motorblock, the bottom end the tube rests inside.

Do not try bond the stick back together, the oil will likely cause it to separate again, putting you in the same scenario, or worse if you drop pieces down the tube.

Find a new dipstick here, Its metal, made for the car and wont break like the *Removed* stock one.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-Engine-Dipstick-15301-21062/dp/B07HKP2XBW/ref=pd_sbs_263_1/140-2106026-3633949?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07HKP2XBW&pd_rd_r=436d8b5d-da3d-43ca-97dd-0c0c318f3bf5&pd_rd_w=Ssoey&pd_rd_wg=xm81t&pf_rd_p=7cd8f929-4345-4bf2-a554-7d7588b3dd5f&pf_rd_r=35SKPXN2QRDBNSPQW2YP&psc=1&refRID=35SKPXN2QRDBNSPQW2YP

I suspect Aron could well be located in the U.S.A. too. That link is for Amazon.com! Maybe he works for the Amazing Parts Warehouse?

The "stock" dipstick is metal in my engine.

17 hours ago, stantheman1 said:

Yeah, I think it was just the 1.0 litre mk 1's that had plastic dipsticks.

I didn't know that Steven. Not ideal in my opinion and maybe a cost saving too far?