Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear shift light

Ruud00

Hi guys, i have a 09 auris 1.33 petrol model and i have a question about the gear shift light.

the dash gear shift light only lights up from 4th gear onwards. it never lights up in 1st 2nd 3rd etc.

is there a reason for this?

many thanks

Should have two lights - one for changing up and one for changing down. With the two Auris I had (2009 and 2012), the gear shift indicator worked across all gears, but often I changed up or down before either light came on anyway. The indicator is intended to encourage drivers to drive economically, but some drivers ignore them.

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Should have two lights - one for changing up and one for changing down. With the two Auris I had (2009 and 2012), the gear shift indicator worked across all gears, but often I changed up or down before either light came on anyway. The indicator is intended to encourage drivers to drive economically, but some drivers ignore them.

Yes thats right about having two lights , doesnt seem to be lighting up in the lower gears tho

The "UP" and "DOWN" lights in mine light from 2nd gear and up (so UP when revving in 2, DOWN when low revs in 3).

Since I have a 1.4 diesel I am very familiar with these lights 🤣

I made a note of mine this morning (1.33L) and the lights work in all gears. 2nd to 3rd suggests upshifting at around 12mph ish, 3rd to 4th at hmmm... trying to think.... just under 30 I think. 4th to 5th is pretty good as a visual indication that you are not to far over 30 mph (in mine anyway). If its saying to upshift in 4th then you are on the edge of legality speed wise in a 30 zone.   

8 hours ago, Mooly said:

I made a note of mine this morning (1.33L) and the lights work in all gears. 2nd to 3rd suggests upshifting at around 12mph ish, 3rd to 4th at hmmm... trying to think.... just under 30 I think. 4th to 5th is pretty good as a visual indication that you are not to far over 30 mph (in mine anyway). If its saying to upshift in 4th then you are on the edge of legality speed wise in a 30 zone.   

I wonder why mine doesn't do that?

No idea. Mine is a 2010 model (mid run facelift version) so not sure if there would have been any changes at that point. Speaking purely as a electronics tech I would put it being a 'real fault' way down the list. Firstly you really need to get confirmation from a similar age (pre facelift) vehicle that there really is a problem, secondly I would try a 'reset' by disconnecting the Battery for a few minutes, and only then consider other possibilities. I was going to say that there must be a mechanical switch to indicate what gear it is in but of course that isn't the only option. All the system needs to know is engine speed and road speed  which are already known and in use (speedo and rev counter). I would try a reset, you've nothing to loose. If it still doesn't work then try asking another owner when you are out and about. And of course ask a dealer.

Its an interesting one. 

My pre-facelift and post-facelift worked in the same way.

Mine works in all gears. When in traffic jam that's downhill and i coast the car while it's not in gear, at around 20-ish km, it will tell me to switch to gear down.

Simillarly on steep incline, where i'm going 3500 rpm, it recommends to shift up, which will bog the car.

I would say it's a pretty simple system that takes info from speedometer and rev counter, and since it has no gyroscope or anything similar, it applies same calculations be it on steep incline, or decline,  but works best on flat roads.

On 6/28/2018 at 11:09 AM, furtula said:

Mine works in all gears. When in traffic jam that's downhill and i coast the car while it's not in gear, at around 20-ish km, it will tell me to switch to gear down.

Simillarly on steep incline, where i'm going 3500 rpm, it recommends to shift up, which will bog the car.

I would say it's a pretty simple system that takes info from speedometer and rev counter, and since it has no gyroscope or anything similar, it applies same calculations be it on steep incline, or decline,  but works best on flat roads.

I think they upgraded the system to make it a little bit smarter later on - in my 2010 model it seems to take engine load into account.

For example on a flat stretch it will tell me to shift up from 5th to 6th at 3000rpm, but when I come to an incline and keep it at 3000rpm, the shift light will extinguish.

Similarly when going down it will tell me to shift up at 2500 instead of 3000rpm.

• Like 1

I can confirm what dieseldane mentions. I suspect there is probably another input from either the airflow meter and/or fuel injection duration.

As far as I'm aware, there are two types of gear indicator system - one linked to engine speed and one linked to the ECU - and they were introduced to satisfy a forthcoming EU requirement to encourage drivers to drive economically. I cannot see why Toyota would look to improve a system when either system meets EU requirements. As I said earlier the systems in our 2009 Auris (pre-facelift) and 2012 Auris (post facelift) worked in the same way, as did that in our 2012 i20.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware, there are two types of gear indicator system - one linked to engine speed and one linked to the ECU - and they were introduced to satisfy a forthcoming EU requirement to encourage drivers to drive economically. I cannot see why Toyota would look to improve a system when either system meets EU requirements. As I said earlier the systems in our 2009 Auris (pre-facelift) and 2012 Auris (post facelift) worked in the same way, as did that in our 2012 i20.

Same for my Avensis. The car works on speed, rev, load, throttle position and inclines. If driven with a heavy throttle, the up shift illuminates later. when driving up hill, the down shift illuminates, depending on gradient, revs and throttle position. I take this as if the car was auto, it would select the gears instead of indicating.  

Yes the shift indicator in both our Auris and Avensis work as above.

It's slightly academic though is my wife will happily drive for miles in her Avensis on a flat, straight road in 4th gear with the 'shift up' indicator glowing desperately at her, taking not the slightest notice of it. I just console myself with the fact that it's probably giving the DPF a really good clear out....

• Haha 2