Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need advice to improve ride quality and comfort

MH1

Hi,

Just acquired Hybrid Auris 2014 with only 15,000 Km. 

Need the forum advice, There is one painful issue - Ride quality - Every road imperfection even on new roads at every speed  is transmitted to my back!

Besides that i like the car so i don't want to sell it but IMPROVE it.

What to do? Struts? Shocks? Seat? rear? front? both?

Your advice is welcome

Thanks!

MH1

First of all what wheel/tyre size combination do you have? 

Hi moshe. Make sure that you are not running on low profile tyres. My Auris 2016 Business Edition on 16 inch runs like a dream, lovely and smooth. Regards Bob.

8 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

First of all what wheel/tyre size combination do you have? 

Hi,

15" , 65/195  All wheels

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Bob110023 said:

Hi moshe. Make sure that you are not running on low profile tyres. My Auris 2016 Business Edition on 16 inch runs like a dream, lovely and smooth. Regards Bob.

Hi 

Bob

i checked, it is - 15" , 65/195  All wheels

Hi MH

Ok, so assuming the ride really is properly terrible, there is a few things to look at.

Wheels + Tires:
-195/65 r15's are definitely not low profile.
-Brands do make a difference in ride quality, but not enough to change a factory smooth ride into a nailbed.
-Run flat tires are often seen as not helping, but the current generation are a long way improved over the older ones with their perceived horrible ride.
-New tires could be worth investigating, but may not resolve anything in the long run. - Still worth just talking to an independent advisor about your tires in case.

After that, the next step would to start looking at suspension components themselves for fault, since the Auris should have a good ride from factory.
- If its all mechanically sound and factory spec,  then consider upgrades.
- Mechanically its a check of all the ride components looking for worn and broken parts.  A broken component in the mix would usually show other symptoms than just the ride, but anything is possible.
- Since I believe the Arius runs coil-overs all round, you could look at a replacement set , which would be both the dampers/struts and springs/coils. 
-- However - 99% of the ones you will find are performance focused, and be horrible for the ordinary driver - because that's the main reason people change them out (Stiffer Rides/Improved grip/ lowering, etc.) + Expensive.
- Could it be possible your running an aftermarket set already? - Again, Auris's aren't usually an awful rough to ride in, so if a previous owner has put in aftermarket lowered + stiff coils/springs, this could explain it, plus this upgrade isn't that uncommon. If so, a refurbished factory set could solve the issue a lot cheaper.
- You would need to get in and look at the coil and strut assembly (coilover) for signs of aftermarket parts - looking for branding, coloring, adjustablity, etc. Typically aftermarket is much better than factory at a performance level, but sacrifices ride quality, so they are visually made to stand out as a result. Obvious sign is the strut top color, such as bight green, red, blue, etc.
- Either way The coils are the obvious place to start, as they they define the primary stiffness of the suspension setup. Lowered coils, either by replacement or by adjustment are another cause of harsh rides, changing them out to a lower stiffness(softer) and restoring factory height would help.
- Worn out struts/dampers are unlikly to be the problem here, as they will make car far more bouncy than stiff, since they don't counteract the oscillation of the spring. A harsh ride means the system inst giving enough freedom to the wheel to move up and down, either in travel and or speed, and the coil is the main suspect by looking at its stiffness, height and travel.

Lastly,
It depends on just how genuinely bad the ride is. I'm not trying to dismiss the argument, its just that I've had many people say to me "My car is the worst ride ever, its so harsh", but they have never experienced proper sports suspension before as a comparison for what a harsh ride is. A subsequent  10 minute drive in my car and they realize their suspension is actually not that bad. 

I have a 2013 model on the same size tyres/wheels.  The ride is very good.

In addition to the comprehensive lists above, some manufacturers limit the suspension travel with shipping chocks, to prevent the car moving about excessively during shipping to the dealer.  As the car is such low mileage, is it possible these suspension (spring) chocks are still fitted, even though they definitely should have been removed?

I have never seen these chocks in the flesh, but there are plenty of internet stories about negligent dealers who have never removed them during pre delivery inspection. This has been reported across a range of car brands.

Also, is your tyre pressure gauge accurate?

In some markets the Auris has a different suspension set up known as the 'rough road package'. So, from your profile, as you're not in the UK it may be that your car has this as standard.

16 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In some markets the Auris has a different suspension set up known as the 'rough road package'. So, from your profile, as you're not in the UK it may be that your car has this as standard.

Interesting, I didn't know that, and it could explain everything.

Its a strange logic though as to who got it by a combination of country and engine.

It looks like Australia was one of the core countries for the package, however the vast majority of Australians live in big, dense, ultra highly developed cities where it would be useless. For example, Melbourne Roads(Victoria, Australia) in general are much better than the UK roads for example. So the the only place it would work down under would be in neglected outback towns, and where for other reasons it would be an insanely bad choice of car. Perhaps Toyota Global thinks Australia is all red-dirt roads :)

Regradless- I think Frosty probably got it in one go - Check for the rough road package, or try it on a really rough road and see if does a good job , either way should tel you :)

5 hours ago, Supra_knight said:

Hi MH

Ok, so assuming the ride really is properly terrible, there is a few things to look at.

Wheels + Tires:
-195/65 r15's are definitely not low profile.
-Brands do make a difference in ride quality, but not enough to change a factory smooth ride into a nailbed.
-Run flat tires are often seen as not helping, but the current generation are a long way improved over the older ones with their perceived horrible ride.
-New tires could be worth investigating, but may not resolve anything in the long run. - Still worth just talking to an independent advisor about your tires in case.

After that, the next step would to start looking at suspension components themselves for fault, since the Auris should have a good ride from factory.
- If its all mechanically sound and factory spec,  then consider upgrades.
- Mechanically its a check of all the ride components looking for worn and broken parts.  A broken component in the mix would usually show other symptoms than just the ride, but anything is possible.
- Since I believe the Arius runs coil-overs all round, you could look at a replacement set , which would be both the dampers/struts and springs/coils. 
-- However - 99% of the ones you will find are performance focused, and be horrible for the ordinary driver - because that's the main reason people change them out (Stiffer Rides/Improved grip/ lowering, etc.) + Expensive.
- Could it be possible your running an aftermarket set already? - Again, Auris's aren't usually an awful rough to ride in, so if a previous owner has put in aftermarket lowered + stiff coils/springs, this could explain it, plus this upgrade isn't that uncommon. If so, a refurbished factory set could solve the issue a lot cheaper.
- You would need to get in and look at the coil and strut assembly (coilover) for signs of aftermarket parts - looking for branding, coloring, adjustablity, etc. Typically aftermarket is much better than factory at a performance level, but sacrifices ride quality, so they are visually made to stand out as a result. Obvious sign is the strut top color, such as bight green, red, blue, etc.
- Either way The coils are the obvious place to start, as they they define the primary stiffness of the suspension setup. Lowered coils, either by replacement or by adjustment are another cause of harsh rides, changing them out to a lower stiffness(softer) and restoring factory height would help.
- Worn out struts/dampers are unlikly to be the problem here, as they will make car far more bouncy than stiff, since they don't counteract the oscillation of the spring. A harsh ride means the system inst giving enough freedom to the wheel to move up and down, either in travel and or speed, and the coil is the main suspect by looking at its stiffness, height and travel.

Lastly,
It depends on just how genuinely bad the ride is. I'm not trying to dismiss the argument, its just that I've had many people say to me "My car is the worst ride ever, its so harsh", but they have never experienced proper sports suspension before as a comparison for what a harsh ride is. A subsequent  10 minute drive in my car and they realize their suspension is actually not that bad. 

Hi Simon

What a great  detailed answer - Thank you very much!!!

1. Regarding bad ride, Last two years i drove Infiniti G37 and i immediately felt the change. The G37 i could drove for hours not causing me any pain/uncomfort

2. I believe i would start as you suggested with the Coils (i don't think previous owner changed to any aftermarket, she is 60+ highschool teach who drove 3-4K Km per year.

Once i have any improvment , i'll publish what i did
Thanks again!

4 hours ago, Gerg said:

I have a 2013 model on the same size tyres/wheels.  The ride is very good.

In addition to the comprehensive lists above, some manufacturers limit the suspension travel with shipping chocks, to prevent the car moving about excessively during shipping to the dealer.  As the car is such low mileage, is it possible these suspension (spring) chocks are still fitted, even though they definitely should have been removed?

I have never seen these chocks in the flesh, but there are plenty of internet stories about negligent dealers who have never removed them during pre delivery inspection. This has been reported across a range of car brands.

Also, is your tyre pressure gauge accurate?

Thanks Greg
Will check your point as well - thanks for the idea

as for tire pressure - I checked and is as recommended 33PSI

MH

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 5:26 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

I would go with frosty's post above, I think his answer is on the money. 

Check to see if you have that package. It could (but not necessarily) be stamped on the car's build plate, suspension components, or more.
If not, it might just be one a line in the purchase agreement or the service manual etc, etc.
Worse case you may have it, and only an inspection of the parts can tell.