Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Multimode MM-T transmission lifespan

remppainen

I have Corolla E150 2008 1,6 1ZR-FE with a mmt transmission. Its a semi automatic, so basically normal manual gearbox with robot actuator handling the clutch and changes.

I have 140 000 in the meter and i'm wondering about the lifespan of the transmission. There is a lot of videos in the youtube about fixing the actuator (as it seems to be the first thing to broke, not the gearbox), but unfortunately they are all in Russian.

I've fortunately yet have problems with the gearbox. I've just changed the gearbox oils to it the first time so expand the lifetime of it. And what i've heard the actuator can only be changed in Toyota dealership since there is no spareparts for it. And that it costs around 500-1000eur.

I'm curious to know if you have experiences or  know how long estimately the mmt actuator /gearbox works before I need to be worried about it? 

I have a 2008 mmt  for 6 years now. I only recently had some issues with the transmission. I replaced the actuator motor as well as the clutch and then initialized the clutch (first time in 6 years). It ran fine for a couple of months then suddenly it started to switch to "N" without any reason, tried to learn and initialize the clutch couple of times but it didn't help. I then replaced the transmission control module unit in the glove compartment and since then it's running without any issues.

I bought the "Toyota tech stream " software and a mini vci connector. Tried initiating and learning the clutch and it worked, you can also do it manually with some particular steps and fluent Russian:

I love my Toyota(I hate the melting dashboard though), and I'm very happy with the MMT Transmission.

Hope this helps.

On 7/6/2018 at 12:24 AM, dirarko said:

I have a 2008 mmt  for 6 years now. I only recently had some issues with the transmission. I replaced the actuator motor as well as the clutch and then initialized the clutch (first time in 6 years). It ran fine for a couple of months then suddenly it started to switch to "N" without any reason, tried to learn and initialize the clutch couple of times but it didn't help. I then replaced the transmission control module unit in the glove compartment and since then it's running without any issues. 

I bought the "Toyota tech stream " software and a mini vci connector. Tried initiating and learning the clutch and it worked, you can also do it manually with some particular steps and fluent Russian:

I love my Toyota(I hate the melting dashboard though), and I'm very happy with the MMT Transmission.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your answer. May I ask how much the parts cost, and how many km s did u have in the meter since first problems started?

I'm also wondering how the MMT will handle -25c winter temperatures..

The cost is relative to where you live, the parts where I live is not very cheap. But in total it's around $600. My car had done 190K when this happened. Regarding the temperature, I really can't answer that, the climate here is hot.

• 1 month later...

• 3 years later...

Read a lot of posts on mmt clutches and tried most of them.  Still did not find the solution for my mmt issue described as gear slipping to N suddenly when its hot 🙂 ( over 24 degrees Celsius and after 20 minutes of driving and intensively changing from 1 to 3 ). Have done a lot of things, and for five years since I have my car I can't drive in July and August when its hot here.

- First action- changed gearbox oil, clutch set  - no luck

- Second action - repaired actuator - no luck 

- Third action, gone to Toyota official - repaired mmt sensor - no luck

-  Forth action, repaired water pump ( for some reason though it might be the cause that it is overheating some part )

- Fifth action ( Found your post and changed ECU ). Changed in one go: Clutch set ( again as more than 40000km after previous), gerbox oil, ecu unit,  actuator ( totally new this time ). And ... I really hoped it would work. 

But... the issue appeared again, just on higher temperatures, now it appeared when its over 30 degrees Celsius 🙂 

My family tells me I am crazy and I should just sell it, but I really like the car and I am not happy to make someone else.

I still have not gave up on it,  I complained to the guys that did the last repair and they promised to try something else: they suspect it could be clutch fork that could be damaged due to faulty clutch and actuator.

I anyone here has any other idea, please tell me. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links