Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing to bigger diameter tyres ok?

007matt

Hi guys. 

I'm looking to buy a Yaris hybrid soon. I notice the current tyre on icon models are 175/65/15.  I want to go to 195/60/15, would it be ok for the arches? 

Secondly does it affect the warranty or insurance?

Thanks in advance

Matt

You will need to use a tyre size/speedometer error calculator to determine the effect on the speedometer reading - legally speedometers must not under read.

Check with your insurer whether they're OK with the change, or whether it incurs an increased premium.

Hi, Owner's Manual shows alternatives to 175/65/15 as 185/60/15, or 195/50/16. Also bear in mind if you go to 16" you will have to pay London Congestion Charge, as it changes the emissions rule.

Thanks for the replies guys. 

I know some excel model have 16", I won't go 16". My guess is 195 with 55 or 50 profile are ok but not specified in the handbook. I guess I will go with 185/60/15 instead. Want better handling as I don't really like 175, think they are a bit small.  

Would still need to notify insurance as it would be a change to the spec of your car. The fact that different wheels/tyres are mentioned in the owners manual is irrevelant.

64 plate Yaris Hybrid Excel. Tyres are 195/60/ R16

If I were to change the wheels and tyres, I'd have to tell the insurance company that the car is non-stantard.

Mick.

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links