Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wandering

Colourd

Hi,

How long after you bought it did you notice the problem, or has it just started recently ?

The MOT, is there any connection between the MOT tester/ Garage and who you bought it from ?

If there is an obvious steering knock and your 4 mechanics (?) have not identified it ( ??!!) I would suggest you take it to a genuine Toyota Dealer and demonstrate the problem and noise to their tester who may go out on a drive with you if needed, it may cost, check first, but at least you should get a proper diagnosis.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/forms/forms?tab=pane-dealer

Afraid being online without knowing who and whats been done to the car and unable to experience the actual problem it so difficult to suggest anything.

You could perhaps post a video of the noise as you rock the steering ?

The knock was there slightly when I bought it but driving a lot of cars I know each ones  do have there own little knocks, no connections with buyer and mot garage. I’ve took it to garages that do not even know me and said they can’t find anything and looks a good car. It’s there if going down country lanes, if you have to pull over in cut ins, if you go over ground not even, and if you pulled up in a verge you notice it and and the steering goes sloppy, fine at quick Speeds-on the a47 or a11 you don’t even notice it. Just bugging me. Toyota want £90 to just look and being single mum I just can’t warrent spending that just to look 

Hi,

Think your model is like mine  with Electric Power Steering, so wonder if there is a problem with the electric motor or even the Battery ? though the Sloppy description sounds unusual.... ?  also assume you have not had the PS dashboard check light coming on.

Could it just be that the electric motor is making it feel very light to you at low speeds compared to other cars with hydraulic systems ?

Your knocking sound desciption did remind me a bit of a sound I had when going over slower speed bumps and thats "brake pad rattle" though can sound more like a plain knock.

If you go over a  speed bump etc , say under 40mph and you get the knock,  try doing the same, but this time lightly brake, if the sound stops then its probably  pad rattle if you have had everything else checked.

The other thing they say can cause a similar type of knock is worn antiroll bar bushes, not always as easy to check for wear as the other suspension joints.

If you get a single knock in the steering as you turn from either side to side, it may be the steering column is out of alignment, especially if it does the knock when it's just going past centre. If it is when you turn, it is more likely a worn bush, or a wheel bearing. An MOT will pick this up.

Thank you everyone, it doesn’t knock on speed bumps unless it’s the small ones and you put the passenger side over the bump and drivers sode not, when it does it the whole steering wheel almost loose control drops a good 25 degrees  loosely if that makes sense hard to get video when driving but will try x

It’s mot was fine 1 advisory of a low tyre it’s hard to describe these noises will try and record them xx 

There is a lever under the steering column to push up and down to lock the steering wheel in place at a height you want. If this is loose, the steering wheel will drop 25 degrees as you mention. Knocking will come from this because the steering column is not locked to the steering.

My 2002 corolla t sport had an advisory for an inner steering joint, though my steering has never felt bad in anyway.

Barbara, is the noise coming from inside or out ?

Just a suggestion, but, maybe the securing bolts on the steering column u/j's need checking for tightness, if you have some ring spanners you could do that yourself. I had that early in my ownership

What tyre pressures you running ? as they are very sensitive to tyre pressures

Separately, just in case you dont know, the track rod ends can rattle and still be difficult to find play in them. Were they both changed recently ?

Track rod ends are new  I’m running 32 pressure, the knock/ rattle is both it’s outside but you can feel it through the steering, was going to film yesterday but roads are wet will try to today 

Hi Bea204.

The current edition of the Car Mechanics magazine ( in larger Supermarkets & WHS) has a 10 page article on all types of Power Steering and common faults etc.

It might just offer some insight as to your problem .....?

001252.jpg

Well Barbara, I admire your sound clips, but, its definitely a case of you have to be there 😄

I still think you should try your lower steering column U/J clamp bolts for tightness If you or a friend has some ring spanners it costs nothing

Also with a friend it might be worth testing for column U/J play by one holding down by the floor / bulkhead, and  the other rocking the wheel

Apart from that, I am at a loss what to suggest atm

Any news Barbara ?

I've had one thought, a possibility, - front top mount bearings, unlikely but possible,

I put new ones in mine when I renewed the struts, it turned out they were ok, but, wanted piece of mind

How many miles has yours done ?

Any service history ?

The rear shocks can look ok, test ok, but be knackered and can cause weird feel to steering handling, I know that cos that's how mine were

No news still as it was, it’s done 118k  going to start changing bits after Christmas x just doing my head on constants knocking 

Another thought is the anti--roll bar links, but, i bet they've been done ?

4 hours ago, Bea204 said:

No news still as it was, it’s done 118k  going to start changing bits after Christmas x just doing my head on constants knocking 

Hi,

If money is tight I think that will be the worse route to go, just renewing parts without any knowledge if its faulty or not is not a good approach and may well introduce more problems than you cure.

Have to say,  based on what you have posted,  I find it hard to understand how 4 different garages supposedly say they have tested the car and find no evidence of the knocking and light steering feel ?

Normally if there is any play in the steering or suspension a good  tester will find it, If it was an alignment problem you would feel it in the steering and/or  tyre wear etc

Think you would be better taking it to another garage and ask the mechanic to go on a drive with you and demonstrate the fault to them as you say it can be readily reproduced.

• 6 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 6:39 AM, Bea204 said:

Any news Barbara ?

59 minutes ago, Colourd said:

Any news Barbara ?

Hi there yes had fixed last week, it was knocking, wandering and slack steering now all right and drives like a dream, I will find out exactly what it was but it was something to do with steering rack under the carpet behind pedals, he tightened it all up and it’s fab, 

Good news

It will be interesting and helpful to know exactly what was needed 🙂

14 minutes ago, Colourd said:

Good news

It will be interesting and helpful to know exactly what was needed 🙂

All he did was use mole grips and tightened this bit but will find out what but it was 

Well, I am glad to hear it was a simple fix after all :)