Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clicking noise when pulling away when cold.

Ian.Gresty

My 2003 Avensis T3-S 1.8 petrol Automatic makes a clicking noise when first pulling away either forward or reverse, although it seems to disappear as the car warms up. Any idea what it could be.

Possible driveshaft C.V. joint ?

Hey,

Where exactly is it coming from? And how long do you normally wait after starting the car before driving?

If the clicking is coming from the engine it could be valve tappets which isn't a serious issue if it goes away with engine warming up.

It isn't the engine, but seems to be coming from the right side front wheel. Just had all new brake pads (front and rear) and didn't spot anything wrong. Could it possibly be a C.V joint or drive shaft spines worn. 

Does the click only appear once when pulling away, or there are multiple click?

Does it only happen when you start the car and pull away 1st time, or is it anytime you pull away until it warms up?

Hi furtula, it happens when pulling away and is multiple clicks. Mostly when cold, but can happen anytime when pulling away. It only lasts for a few seconds each time. My car is a 1.8 petrol Automatic.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone has suggested it may be a loose heat shield, and another person thinks it may be something with the aircon. I'm at a complete loss.

11 hours ago, Ian.Gresty said:

Someone has suggested it may be a loose heat shield, and another person thinks it may be something with the aircon. I'm at a complete loss.

Could you give us a sound clip ?

If you can, try turning left or right when it does this to see if it gets quieter or louder ?

I have now isolated the noise, which only happens for 2 seconds when moving off. It only occurs when the air con is on. So it must be something with that, although the air con is working properly. Could it be taking up slack on some drive on the aircon unit.

Might be that the belt is making noises while it's cold or damp?

Maybe it's too loose and creates a nasty sound at very certain RPMs/load combined with cold and/or damp air.

Can you recreate the sound while stationary through operating auxiliary systems or finding that certain RPM?

My V belt was slapping around when engine would be at EXACTLY 1200 RPM, took me a while to identify it by someone struggling to rev it to exact revs and stumbling upon the belt wobbling and slapping.

Thanks, I will take it to the garage and have them check the aircon belt and pulleys.