Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 2.0D4D Steering problem

Junior_G

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 2012 Verso 2.0 D4D and have become increasingly worried about a problem with the power steering with it.

Ive owned the car about a week and when I changed lane I noticed the steering would suddenly become heavy and pull slightly but then would become free again, this morning however I narrowly avoided and accident when the steering lost power when I entered a roundabout and the car refused to turn without me wrestling it. I narrowly avoided a taxi in the inside ring and ending up in the middle of the roundabout.

Having my two young kids in the car at the time the experience left me abit shaken but I am sure this couldnt be a unique problem, has anyone else experienced this kind of issue ? 

I googled verso steering problems and could see some models have been recalled due to a steering module problem but it being sunday I’ll not get toyota on the phoneuntil tomorrow morning, I am unsure though if this was toyota UK.

I have also noticed flickering in the dash (speedo, rev counter, display) as well along with the touch an go cutting out suddenly when the auto door lock kicks in an locks vehicle whilst driving.

Given I bought the car after owning toyotas since passing my test many years ago and always advocating their reliability and needing the Verso as ive a 3rd child on the way, i find myself questioning the purchase.

I hope this is easily resolved but would greatly appreciate any response or feedback from you guys !

Thanks

Glen

How recently did you buy the car and was the purchase from a UK dealer? If purchased from a UK dealer (ie not Ireland) you may be covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/buying-goods-and-services-1-october-2015

No I bought it from a local used car sales business, it has cover under warrenty with warrenty wise for 6 months, am just trying to guage if this is a known problem with this model ?

5 hours ago, Junior_G said:

Ive owned the car about a week and when I changed lane I noticed the steering would suddenly become heavy and pull slightly but then would become free again, this morning however I narrowly avoided and accident when the steering lost power when I entered a roundabout and the car refused to turn without me wrestling it. I narrowly avoided a taxi in the inside ring and ending up in the middle of the roundabout.

Having my two young kids in the car at the time the experience left me abit shaken but I am sure this couldnt be a unique problem, has anyone else experienced this kind of issue ? 

I googled verso steering problems and could see some models have been recalled due to a steering module problem but it being sunday I’ll not get toyota on the phoneuntil tomorrow morning, I am unsure though if this was toyota UK.

I have also noticed flickering in the dash (speedo, rev counter, display) as well along with the touch an go cutting out suddenly when the auto door lock kicks in an locks vehicle whilst driving.

I imagine that the power steering on a 2012 Verso is electric & your other comments are also electrical so you may have some form of electrical issue.

Are there any common electrical faults or go to issues with this model that you guys know of ?

10 hours ago, Junior_G said:

No I bought it from a local used car sales business, it has cover under warrenty with warrenty wise for 6 months, am just trying to guage if this is a known problem with this model ?

In which case you are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

I will give toyota a bell in the morning, I feel I am having exactly what this recall was about albeit the main Verso model isn't mentioned, I didn't get any warning lights on the dash or alarm sound, just the loss of steering. I will update you all tomorrow on how that goes !

https://www.whatcar.com/news/toyota-recalls-5409-uk-vehicles/

Thanks again for the responses guys 🙂

The article in What Car dates back to 2013, and involves the Yaris and Verso S - both totally different vehicles.

If you wish to determine whether your car is subject to an outstanding recall or voluntary service campaign, you can use Toyota's recall checker - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker

You can also check for recalls via DVSA -

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall   

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

• 10 months later...

Hi i am recently having the same problem with my 2012 verso with the steering.  could you tell me the outcome of your problem 

• 3 months later...

Hi i am also having the same problems that you have stated with my 2011 verso. Could you help me with what you discovered.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, Yeah I'm also hitting this one on my 2012 Verse T Spirit D-4D. Annoyingly the RAC warranty garage couldn't recreate the problem to diagnose it!

Did any of you get to the bottom of it?

I managed to film it freaking out though:

• 2 weeks later...

It turned out most of the steering was replaced under warranty by Toyota prior to my purchase, if they couldn't sort it then I felt my only option was to return the car to the 2nd hand dealer I bought it from. He tried to say it was an alternator problem were power wasn't getting to the electric power assisted steering though I didn't believe him tbh.

After I returned it I went out and bought I 2014 facelift one instead.

Sorry for the late reply 

• 2 weeks later...

Just been in the garage with Toyota today for a diagnostic.

They're claiming to have found the root of the problem which was an earthing issue, which they've solved and the error has gone.

Time will tell over the next few weeks as to whether it's fully gone!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my name is Siby.  My Toyota Verso the same model has the same problem.  I went Toyota, but they couldn't find any issues.