Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto gearbox

Sharkus123

Hi all

Im the proud owner of a 2010 Aygo Black edition with an auto gearbox, I picked it up yesterday, 2010 plate with 53500 miles on the clock. Not long after picking it up we parked up in town on a slight incline. When we came back I started it up, put it in drive and it rolled backwards which I wasn’t expecting. All other autos I’ve driven stop you rolling back if in drive mode, are the Aygo’s different?

All help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Mark

The automatic transmission in the Aygo - multi mode transmission or MMT - is a manual gearbox with automated clutch.

19 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The automatic transmission in the Aygo - multi mode transmission or MMT - is a manual gearbox with automated clutch.

Hi Mark

and welcome to the forum.

as mike has just said its a manual gearbox with automated clutch so the golden rules with this type of transmission

is not to leave it in drive when stationary as all you are doing is slipping the clutch and burning it  out,dont get me wrong

if your traffic lights are about to change to green when you stop then leave it in "D" Drive , but if you have just missed your turn then

select "N" Neutral a new clutch is in the region of £700 so you want to take care of the one you have.

enjoy your car we have had  couple of Aygo's with MMT and they where both good cars to own.

12 minutes ago, eygo said:

Hi Mark

and welcome to the forum.

as mike has just said its a manual gearbox with automated clutch so the golden rules with this type of transmission

is not to leave it in drive when stationary as all you are doing is slipping the clutch and burning it  out,dont get me wrong

if your traffic lights are about to change to green when you stop then leave it in "D" Drive , but if you have just missed your turn then

select "N" Neutral a new clutch is in the region of £700 so you want to take care of the one you have.

enjoy your car we have had  couple of Aygo's with MMT and they where both good cars to own.

Hi Eygo

Thanks for explaining. The previous owner was a little old lady who did just under 200 miles in the past year and I’m guessing she probably didn’t follow the golden rule. Good to know though, she’s the smallest engine car I’ve ever owned, I’m looking forward to a more relaxed driving style and spending a lot less on fuel lol

My Aygo x-shift disengages the clutch whenever the car is stationary and the footbrake and/or handbrake is applied, maybe older models are the same.

When I first got the car I’d always put the car into N for every single pause (following advise on forums) but would find sometimes it wouldn’t go back into D for a few seconds (flashing N) which can be unsettling in a line of traffic.

The best way to test if the clutch disengages is to stop on a very slight uphill section with the car in D. Take your foot of the brake with the handbrake off and the car should stay where it is or slowly creep forward. Now gently lift the handbrake till the handbrake light comes on but not enough to stop and the car should roll back. If it does then the clutch is disengaged and you don’t need to select N every time for short periods.

Finally never use the accelerator to hold the car on a hill. You’ll burn out the clutch out very quickly.

cjohnston1982

the Aygo X-shift doesn't disengage the clutch the clutch disengages the transmission from the engine

when the transmission is disengaged the clutch is still rotating and wearing just like when you are holding your car on a hill.

so really if you are going to stop for a while selecting "N" is the best option.

12 hours ago, eygo said:

cjohnston1982

when the transmission is disengaged the clutch is still rotating and wearing just like when you are holding your car on a hill.

so really if you are going to stop for a while selecting "N" is the best option.

I disagree with that. It is not wearing the clutch like holding the car on the hill using the clutch and engine revs.

The Mk2 aygo with x shift has hill assist but the old mk1 aygos don't. I used the handbrake a lot of the time on hills.

• 1 month later...

This seems strange.....I have just bought a 2016 Exclusiv with X shift, and if the clutch is 'disengaged' then surely  it is not under load from the ICE or road wheels

therefore not suffering wear...............

or am I wrong...

As  delivery driver for a super car company, my instructions were always to pull BOTH paddleshifts at the same time to engage Neutral...but Aygo doesnt seem to have this facility

with the X shift being a manual transmission selecting Neutral is the same as having your foot

on the clutch pedal whilst being stationary this is why its not good practise as in a normal

manual transmission car as you will wear your clutch plate.

Correct, dear Eygo, foot on the clutch pedal in manual car is poor practise......

but in our xshift cars,  if one doesn't put the car into Neutral, which position do you suggest?

there seems to be no definitive answer to whether depressing the foot brake or applying the handbrake, DOES or DOES NOT unhitch the clutch.....

.......nor whether this applies while the car is in Easy or Manual

we seem to be stuck with anecdote rather than Data here

sorry i made a mistake i should of said leaving in D is the same as having your foot on the clutch

in N is fine

sorry for the confusion

I leave mine in E unless I'm stopped for ages then I select neutral

What about leaving it in Drive, (which I assume Is Easy or Manual), with footbrake depressed  or handbrake applied..

Is this Blessed by Mr T., or damned with £700 replacement clutch hellfire?????

some say Yes....some say No

??????????????????????????