Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris SR180 losing coolant! 2008

Davehal7

HI All, 

Only had my Auris 2008 SR180 4 weeks it has 87K on the clock but it is losing coolant, not much and there is no other symptom. I cleaned the bay over the weekend and then drove 100 miles and checked. 

There was fresh coolant and white marks above the coolant tank, it looks like it is coming from the valve under the coolant tank cap. oil is fine and so is performance etc

there is also bubbles in the coolant tank 

what do you think it could be? is this the first sign of the dreaded head gasket issue? 

Hi Dave.

From what you have described you sound correct with your diagnosis. I suggest you book it in at a garage for a 'sniff' test, they will know what you mean, it will cost say £30-£40 and they can tell you 100% if you are correct.

Mike.

Did you buy the car privately or from a garage?

If from a garage, you're covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act. - in which case take it back to the garage and let them deal with it.

If bought privately, you're on your own so do what Mike says.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply guys, I will book it in at Mr T for an inspection hopefully this week to confirm - is there anything else that is likely to cause this?  or is HG the only cause?  could a dodgy coolant tank be the culprit? 

I got it from a user car dealer on autotrader but it was from his house etc.  it got a 3 month warranty with it too but cant tell from terms if the head gasket is covered, i messaged him over weekend asking if it was covered and i was going to get it checked.. 

the reply i got was it doesn't work like that and i would need to car back to him for him to look at and get any work done!! surely i should get confirmation it is gasket first 

then he had a dig that the yaris t sport i part exchanged in had a blown gearbox which i find hard to believe as i drove it 100 miles there and was using it daily,.. he was trying to send me the bills!! .. grrrrr think i may have got a bad deal here regretting the SR180 already and I could lose 2.7K 

The usual method of getting a fault rectified is to give the retailer a chance to repair rather than include a third party.

I would be inclined to get advice from CAB or Trading Standards as regards this person's status as a trader, and where you stand.

Hmmmmm a car dealer selling from his house sounds fishy to me as it suggests he is trying to avoid car dealer responsibilities suggesting he knew about the head gasket. The price in repairing it properly is £7000, personally i'd take the car back to him and get your money back even if it comes to you taking your old car back with a supposed HG gone, sounds like he is just throwing that one in to put you off. As Mike has said who to contact i'd go down that route but in the mean time i'd try to get the deal 'reversed and look elsewhere. If you take the reg no. to your local Toyota dealer and ask if it has been done in the past which sounds like it hasn't and like I have already said get the deal 'reversed'.

Good luck mate, Mike.

3 hours ago, Davehal7 said:

I got it from a user car dealer on autotrader but it was from his house etc.  it got a 3 month warranty with it too but cant tell from terms if the head gasket is covered, i messaged him over weekend asking if it was covered and i was going to get it checked.. dy and I could lose 2.7K 

if he is a trader he is liable for 6 months with the onus on him to prove that the fault wasn't there/incipient when he sold it.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-second-hand-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

could be your water pump is about to fail, is the engine loud?? Mine had the same problem and Toyota Huddersfield lied to me to avoid fixing it under warranty so even reputable Toyota dealers cannot be trusted, much less a dodgy dealer posing as a private seller.

Hi Guys, 

I'm taking the car to Mr T tomorrow morning for a free 15 min visual inspection, so will let you know how it goes. 

car is running fine and is actually more responsive now i have put K and N panel filter and a bottle of wynns in the fuel tank to give it a good clean. 

It is not losing lots of coolant I have only topped it up the once with 0.5L but im sure it is still leaking very slowly as even when i clean the area around it the next time i drive there will be white stains again 

i hope to god that it is something like a water pump or dodgy cap or coolant tank and not HG.. car has only ever been owned by currie motors in Twickenham who are Toyota dealer who the seller purchased it from - full toyota history and it mint condition 

15 minutes ago, Davehal7 said:

i hope to god that it is something like a water pump or dodgy cap or coolant tank and not HG

water pumps certainly known to weep on these (but that wouldn't explain the coolant stains by the expansion tank)

car has only ever been owned by currie motors in Twickenham who are Toyota dealer who the seller purchased it from - full toyota history and it mint condition 

seems odd that a main dealer would own a car for 10/11 years?

Hi, I have to agree with Scott (Above) on his comments. May I suggest you log into this site, it's free and will give you some history on the vehicle, my comment goes out to everyone about a vehicles history?

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.63456872.634424919.1530704737-1894625439.1527597390

Mike.

Thanks Mike, 

yes i already did mot checker and background checks before purchase - clean mot history and service book has every stamp from currie motors. 

one thing i have noticed using my bluetooth OBD reader is the intake pressure when engine is idle is around 10PSI (74KPA) then when driving it ranges from 10psi - 25psi 

what should these values be? 

Morning Guys, 

Mr T has confirmed it is the head gasket - i am heartbroken, was told everything that has been listed on this forum before. 

Personally, I'd take it back to the dealer and ask for a refund.

yes thats what i am trying to do - waiting for Toyota to email me the report over so i can send to dealer who seems to be open and helpful so far .. so gutted as there isnt any other Toyota built in the last 10 years that ticks all my boxes 

7 hours ago, Davehal7 said:

yes thats what i am trying to do - waiting for Toyota to email me the report over so i can send to dealer who seems to be open and helpful so far .. so gutted as there isnt any other Toyota built in the last 10 years that ticks all my boxes 

Count you lucky stars if they give you money back, most dealers don't give a Castlemaine XXXX once they have your money.

Morning Guys, 

just an update, car has been taken back by the dealer and i have my refund ... good result in the end, glad he was a reputable dealer.. now it's time to find a new car but have no idea what. 

I may have to leave Toyota and go over to a Honda Civic or Golf.... 

anyone got any other suggestions for a 4 door family hatchback with a boot big enough for husky, 0-60 in less than 9 seconds, fairly quick and a reliable engine capable of 150K+ miles 

Hi Dave,

You had a good result these mate, why not just look for another Rav but not one between 1996 to and 3 years newer, they were the only problem years.

Mike.

2 hours ago, Davehal7 said:

Morning Guys, 

just an update, car has been taken back by the dealer and i have my refund ... good result in the end, glad he was a reputable dealer.. now it's time to find a new car but have no idea what. 

I may have to leave Toyota and go over to a Honda Civic or Golf.... 

anyone got any other suggestions for a 4 door family hatchback with a boot big enough for husky, 0-60 in less than 9 seconds, fairly quick and a reliable engine capable of 150K+ miles 

If i could pick again, i'd go for mazda 3, nice interior, even prettier exterior. 

i have lost faith in Jap Diesels now and think I will stick with petrol, there is also so much less to go wrong!!!..... My head tells me to get a 1.8 honda civic as they are bulletproof  but my heart is going towards a m5k Golf Gti or Seat Cupra.... just concerned most of these will have been ragged !!! not keen on the mazda 3 😞 

Should you go with the Golf be aware that the DSG gearboxes can be problematic and are thousands to fix.

(There's a lot to be said for the old Morris Minor technology!)