Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant change

toolapcblack

Hi all 

Anyone know if there are two coolant drain plugs on the 2litre D-4D engine(2004), as it says in the haynes about the rear of the engine block drain plug

would be great if anyone knows as it would save me a lot of hunting about when i get her up on the ramps in a bit

Many thanks

Jeff

Hi,

Not sure if your Verso Diesel is the same, but you have the drain plug on the bottom of the rad and there may be a drain tap on the rear of the engine block just above the exhaust manifold, so you get to it from the top of the engine bay. 

Use a  mirror to help locate it first as its well hidden and perhaps give it a spray of penny fluid as it will probably not have been touched since it left  the factory and perhaps turn it carefully as it will be difficult to replace if damaged.

Its there to  help drain the engine block, but if you are changing the coolant its worthwhile giving it one or two flushes with water to remove all the old stuff.

Many use Toyotas Red but I refilled with Commas G30 concentrate and use Distilled or Deionised water rather than tap, about £1 for 2 ltrs in supermarkets.

What I also did was to replace the thermostat at the same time as after 12years  / 100k+ it was probably well over due.

What I did not do, and only discovered when I later had to replace the air con radiator, was to remove the cooling fans from the engines rad, only 2 screws, which then revealed a small leak , so might be worth checking yours before you start draining.

000991.jpg

My car came with yellow antifreeze which I thought was a bit odd. But this appears to be a specific brand make and works for any rad system and I've topped it up 50/50 earlier in the year to get better winter weather coverage. Some aluminium block engines don't like distilled water because it tends to act like an acid and corrodes. I stick to good old tap water in case.