Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Comma GO45L 5L EP80W90 GL4 Gear Oil - Grey

m456an

Is this a good gear oil it is suitable for 80W-90 and is gl4 so it is good for the long term health of the gear box.

It is also semi synthetic which seems to be better recommended than fully synthetic for gear boxes.

Though I know there is no point buying this if I cannot get both nuts off and I know I have to take the cover off under the engine.

As I did the engine oil and filter yesterday, this seems to be the next step:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-GO45L-EP80W90-GL4-Gear/dp/B003BPNP6W/ref=pd_cp_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003BPNP6W&pd_rd_r=ee2680ab-7f4d-11e8-928c-2fe02411c6bd&pd_rd_w=soVwk&pd_rd_wg=CQtqH&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=3262852920272843952&pf_rd_r=HZ9CN7TWHQSFYNCYDX1H&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=HZ9CN7TWHQSFYNCYDX1H

though it is a little thicker than recommended 75W 90 maybe this is a good choice

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MANNOL-EXTRA-GETRIEBEOEL-75-W-90-API-Litres/dp/B00G31JZWY/ref=sr_1_9_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1530683269&sr=8-9-spons&keywords=Gl4+litres&psc=1

The car does have rust at the front and oil filter had rust, maybe it is because the previous owner was from Scotland. 

I would use the Toyota recommended oil type. Using 80w instead of 75w will cause problem. I had experienced this. So my advice is don't use 80w. 

Are you sure the manual specify GL4? On my previous 2010 model uses GL5. If you use GL4 it will eat away your synchro gears

• Thanks 1

I also have discovered this it is 75w90 and gl4 and gl5 so it meets both standards:

Performance Profile
API: GL-4 (EP), GL-5 (Hypoid)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millers-TRX-Semi-Synthetic-75w90-5-Litre/272775110596?epid=654211380&hash=item3f82a9dfc4:g:GQAAAOSwmrlUvNwS

I have bought the above Miller's is a good make, right specifications and gl4 and gl5. So the next step is this the 24mm nut to fill the gearbox, this is a birds eye view of gear box, not sure what the wire is that goes to the top of the gearbox:

2018-07-07_13_13_59.thumb.jpg.a708da8c8dac37c81d7e3defbda2ed22.jpg

3 hours ago, m456an said:

not sure what the wire is that goes to the top of the gearbox:

Reversing light switch?

• Sad 1

Vehicle Speed sensor ?

• Thanks 1

I cannot find any other 24mm nut on the front as I have seen on internet tutorials?

15 hours ago, Perfection said:

Vehicle Speed sensor ?

Yeah it does appear to be so you can see how it works here

I have also heard there is an alternate way to fill the gearbox, something about speed sensor or near it?

If you have an honest Toyota dealer, why not let them change the oil for you. The oil and labour is about £45. The oil on its own comes to that price already. So why mess around?

The reason I say "Honest dealer" is that they may not use the correct type of oil. In my case they put in 80w GL4. Which should be 75w GL5. Unfortunately I don't have a trusted dealer in my area.

Putting in the wrong viscosity causes gear change problem from the moment I driven from the dealer.

My preference now is to buy the oil and ask my independent garage to do it.

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2018 at 4:45 PM, bathtub tom said:

Reversing light switch?

I cleaned up the connection and it has 2 wires and maybe 24 mm socket. So you are right. The speed sensor has Philips screws and has 3 wires. Even if I mess it up it does not matter as back light switches are under £15 unlike the speed sensor which is expensive as maf sensor.

Though I have found the fill nut at the front it seems badly rotting, and losing shape.

• 3 weeks later...

On my avensis the filler nut was hand tight, just needed a socket that was hand turned only, so I put it on hand tight. Though the yaris just needed a push from the wrench.

I just did a partial change .5 to .7 litre using a pump and a syringe to push it in quickly. Then I tightened it hand tight, so it will be easy next time. Seems to be running well no problems and did it all from the top, no bending down. I will do the avensis in the same way.