Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maps and SatNav Question

scotsann

Hello there.

I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Toyota Yaris from Toyota.  One remit was built in SatNav.  I like the idea of one unit doing everything,  A car was sourced and I bought it.

I got my bluetooth working and updated all my contacts etc.  Now I'm moving on to the SatNav as I noticed, when driving,  the maps are out of date.  I logged on to my Toyota account and it would appear that I need to purchased a new version at a cost of £109!!!  My TomTom system only cost £59 with lifetime free map updates/

So my question is this, if the previous owner had kept the software up to date, are these updates always free, or do all owners have to pay for software updates whenever these are released.  I am not at all happy to pay £109, especially when there are better systems out there for less than half that price.  Also this could prove to be quite expensive, paying every time a new version is released.

Look forward to your thoughts on this one.

Thank you.

In car systems are quite different to standalone sat navs - usually having bespoke mapping.  Car manufacturers may provide free updates for a limited period (for example three years from first registration) and then updates are chargeable thereafter. On average updates are released once a year. An update cost of £109 isn't bad compared to some other manufacturers.

Those standalone units which have free updates only have them for the perceived lifetime of the product, and after the perceived lifetime has been reached, the manufacturer ceases update support.

When I bought a second-hand Prius from a Toyota dealer I asked them to make sure the maps were up-to-date as part of the deal.  If you have just bought this car it might be worth asking the dealer to update the maps for you to keep you happy.

• Like 1

The map updates are, I believe, free up to the cars third year. If you go to your mytoyota, as you did before, but this time click on the update as if to buy. Then when you go to the checkout you’ll see if you are getting it free or have to pay. I’m not impressed with the built in satnav, even after the update its not as good as my stand alone TomTom. And also it has tendency to switch from imperial to metric measurements, which the update didn’t fix.

Some have updates included, some don't, it depends on the satnav version and that applies to the latest vehicles too.

Register your vehicle on MY TOYOTA and you will see what you are entitled to, or not !