Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

CD player issues, repair, replace or alternative?

Andyyyc

Hi there. I'm after a bit of advice on my 2006 t180. 

The CD player doesnt work, you put in a disc and it will day 'reading disc' for 30 seconds or so then 'check disc'. The sat nav and radio work fine.

I've tried many different discs, both burned and bought, and a disc cleaner. I'm assuming the laser has gone? When I first tried, it attempted to play the disc and managed a few seconds of playback before failing. 

So if this is unrepairable, I'm guessing a replacement is very expensive unless I can replace just the CD drive?

Failing that, i would like to run my music from my phone, so an aux cable would be ideal, what's the best way to do this? Would it still work even though the CD player does not? It is very important that the steering controls still work. 

Any ideas on the cheapest way to do this? I miss having my own music play so much! Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum... I am afraid many CD 'disc' cleaners don't work... I had the same problem with my in-car player a couple of years a go; the only real cure is to clean the laser scanning lens.  After a period of time dust and crud builds up on the lens and it won't read discs.  Remove the player (google how to do this if you don't know how), rermove top or bottom covers and anything else in the way that obstructing access to the laser lens.  Take a cotton bud, dip in isopropal and gently wipe the lens.  Any residue of the isopropal will quickly evaporate.  Re-assemble and test... and unless there is an electronic or mechanical fault... you should be good to go ^ 

Normally when I have a CD player apart I would check the lens carraige tracking for full movement... you should see something like a brass worm gear driven by a stepper motor (this sets the CD track position for the laser lens to read the CD), again, if there is a build up of crud the mechanical tracking of the lens cradle can stick.  brush off any crud with a small brush dipped in isopropal then but a smear of 3-in-one oil on the worm gear and any mechanical pivots.

Good luck... 

DaveH

If no joy in repairing or you want to play music from a phone etc - you’ll need an interface. This simply connects into the CD stacker socket on the back of the CD unit and there are versions that allow you to connect your phone by a jack or aux socket or by bluetooth. The steering wheel control functionality is retained, but if fitted - you can no longer use a CD stacker. Search eBay for RAV4 interface.

I realise you also have satnav but i replaced the unit in my 2007 Rav4 with a Pioneer DAB with bluetooth.  Wish i had done a long time ago and works great with my android phone

Pioneer DAB radio fitted-RAV4.jpg

Thanks for everyone's input. My first point of call then is to get hold of some isopropal and give it a good clean!

Failing that, thanks gjnorthall, 'interface' is the key word I couldn't remember when searching, this is definitely an option.

Catseye27, I'm guessing you had to purchase a frame to fit the single din in there, would a double din fit without any work do you think?

I usually did this with a cotton swab, clean with one, then finish it with a dry one, give it a good look to make sure there's no specs of dust or anything on it, reassemble, should work fine.

I went the single DIN way as suited me but yes, a double DIN is available and these units can have touch screen, satnav etc. The steering wheel functions all work with my Pioneer unit, just make sure you get the right adapters for your car and unit.  My only complaint is brightness of unit display, nearly impossible to see in sunlight, seems common to most if not all manufactures of replacement head units.

My frame insert is a double DIN, just has pocket inserted below radio and just pulls out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links