Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leather abrasion on Excel seat

BigRedSwitch

Hi. The front seats in my Excel model have side bolsters (?) that are intended to keep you secure as you race around town at hybrid speeds (!) but the outer one on the drivers seat suffers from abrasion when you enter or exit the car.  Fortunately, they are (I hope) real leather but how can I return the leather to its original shade?  Is this something I should get the dealer to attend to on the next service or is there a leather touch-up kit available from Toyota?  Anyone know?

your not alone Alan, lexus leather is really poor with regards to the side bolsters

wearing and losing there colour, these are heavy wear areas and should therefore

possibly be given a tougher top coat of sealer or more layers of colour,

anyway i have used this company in the past they sell aerosols of flexible paint

for use on leather / vinyl i think the cost is around £30 for a can

just send them a swatch from your seat and they will colour match to the swatch.

http://shop.bradleysmart.co.uk/systems-kits/1443-lps-1-36-400ml-aerosols.html

when applying spray the thinnest coat of colour surprisingly you will only need 2 / 3 coats.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be so late in responding to your helpful reply.

The trouble is I don't have a piece of leather to send them so I think I might have to search out an upholsterer who might be able to colour-match.

Do a search for a quality car detailer, if he/she doesn't do leather "repairs" then I reckon he will certainly know someone specializing in leather.

Keeping the leather supple will help resist wear/scrubbing etc    I would recommend LTT (leather technical and training) in Harrogate, they do an auto range as well as household leather furniture.

5 hours ago, BigRedSwitch said:

Sorry to be so late in responding to your helpful reply.

The trouble is I don't have a piece of leather to send them so I think I might have to search out an upholsterer who might be able to colour-match.

if you go in the back of the car and look under the front seat you will see

there is some spare leather where the leather has been folded and fastened

to the seat frame cut this off

Thanks to Joe and Mark for their postings.  I'll pursue this matter further when the weather cools down.  It's great having A/C but there comes the time when you have to get out of the car...

if you use the aerosol method the paint will dry quicker with the heat we are having at the moment

Maybe not the most pro method but I just use some shoe polish and buff / polish the bolsters like I would a shoe lol. (obviously I don't use a bristle brush mind you, I just use a cloth)
Then I go over the entire seat with some turtle wax leather conditioner.

what colour are your seats ,mine where a light grey.

it only took about 45 minutes for the repair and 6 months later

the seats looked just as good .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links