Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid flatspot

bill.belfield

I have a bit of an annoying issue with my Yaris Hybrid, it's a 2014/2015 spec (big mouth version) based on the 1.5 engine.

Acceleration is great from the off, no issue, though overtaking a dawdler, say doing 45 in a 60, goes like the clappers up to 60 then it's slow going acceleration wise beyond that, not that you should be doing over 60 in a 60, it's l like some nanny state limiter kicks in. On the motorway it's fine, cruise at 70, boot it to overtake and it takes off.

Anyone else have this issue.

By the way, I'm not a boy racer, I'm nearly 60 and like my 57.6mpg everywhere economy !

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Do you have ECO switched on by any chance? 

ECO was turned off, only really put ECO on during the cold & wet months.

Ah ok, the only reason I asked was because of the way it changes the throttle profile. The only other reason I can think of is because of the ICE change of mode switch. Remember you are dealing with a very complex ICE here that is being monitored by 11 ECUs. Fundamentally it is a normal petrol engine but it has more than one mode of operation. It nearly always operates as an Atkinson cycle engine but can also operate as an Otto cycle engine with some clever electronic control of the valve timing and ignition control. Ordinarily any "change" of mode will be as smooth as silk and almost undetectable but on occasion, and especially when you ask for max power, it can be a bit abrupt and sometimes reject your right foot altogether! Remember that your throttle is "drive by wire" so you have no direct control in that regard...

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ah ok, the only reason I asked was because of the way it changes the throttle profile. The only other reason I can think of is because of the ICE change of mode switch. Remember you are dealing with a very complex ICE here that is being monitored by 11 ECUs. Fundamentally it is a normal petrol engine but it has more than one mode of operation. It nearly always operates as an Atkinson cycle engine but can also operate as an Otto cycle engine with some clever electronic control of the valve timing and ignition control. Ordinarily any "change" of mode will be as smooth as silk and almost undetectable but on occasion, and especially when you ask for max power, it can be a bit abrupt and sometimes reject your right foot altogether! Remember that your throttle is "drive by wire" so you have no direct control in that regard...

Excellent answer, thank you

5 hours ago, bill.belfield said:

Acceleration is great from the off, no issue, though overtaking a dawdler, say doing 45 in a 60, goes like the clappers up to 60 then it's slow going acceleration wise beyond that, not that you should be doing over 60 in a 60, it's l like some nanny state limiter kicks in. On the motorway it's fine, cruise at 70, boot it to overtake and it takes off.

By the way, I'm not a boy racer, I'm nearly 60 and like my 57.6mpg everywhere economy !

The maximum power from the petrol engine is only 74hp and the torque is also low (111Nm). What makes our cars fast (for a while) is the addition of the electric motor (60hp and 169Nm). But, there is a big but … the electric power is limited by the Battery (its capacity, current flow and temperature) and the inverters (temperature and current flow) both controlled by the software giving you longevity for both of these major items.

BTW, I am getting 65mpg average at the moment - perhaps you are a boy racer ☺️

• Like 1

The maximum power from the petrol engine is only 74hp and the torque is also low (111Nm). What makes our cars fast (for a while) is the addition of the electric motor (60hp and 169Nm). But, there is a big but … the electric power is limited by the battery (its capacity, current flow and temperature) and the inverters (temperature and current flow) both controlled by the software giving you longevity for both of these major items.
BTW, I am getting 65mpg average at the moment - perhaps you are a boy racer [emoji5]
I rarely turn the AC off ,a colleague has the same model, he never turns his on and he gets 62mpg. He has had problems with rear discs delaminating from the inside out, anyone else had that. He's fitted ceramic discs.

Wow! Didn't know you could even GET ceramic discs for a Yaris!?

I'll get some pics and details after the weekend and post to this forum

Quick Google search

336cb02d7b7db3e89efeb43e8a774916.jpg

• Like 1

That kit is just the pads that are ceramic. The discs are normal.