Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear 3rd brake light/ center brake light change

jayt13

Hi,

Does anyone know how to replace the 3rd brake / center  brake light?

Thanks in advance

Jay

I found this entry in the online owners manual for a 2014 Yaris.

LED high mounted stoplight
The high mounted stoplight consists of a number of LEDs. If any of the LEDs
burn out, take your vehicle to your Toyota dealer to have the light replaced.

As the lamp is a sealed unserviceable LED unit it is covered under the 5 year/100,000 mile Toyota warranty if it fails, so perhaps give your local dealer a call.

• Like 1

Yeah my dealer wants £65 to change the bulb.

I wasn't aware it was part of a warranty, but thanks will give them a call

• Like 1

So spoke to toyota today they advised its not covered under warranty. And they want £150 for it parts and labour.

• Like 1

So long as the car is less than 5 years old with less than 100,000 miles the centre stop lamp is covered under warranty as it is a sealed unserviceable unit 

• Like 1

Yep my car is only 4 years bought pre-registered only has 11k on the clock so why is toyota (jemca edgware road) saying i got to pay for it?

3 minutes ago, jayt13 said:

Yep my car is only 4 years bought pre-registered only has 11k on the clock so why is toyota (jemca edgware road) saying i got to pay for it?

You need to take that up with Jemca directly or Toyota customer services.

Does anyone have a document which they can share where its shows what is covered so i can take this up with as my evidence?

The service and warranty booklet doesn't go into the depth of detail that you're seeking. Devon Aygo works for a Toyota dealer, and if he says it is covered, then covered it is.

Contact Toyota GB customer relations - https://www.toyota.co.uk/contact-us/

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

MOT and service yesterday revealed high level brake light needed replacing for approx. £130. I’ve contacted Toyota quoting this thread. More to follow if they answer.

2 minutes ago, Malcolmz1 said:

MOT and service yesterday revealed high level brake light needed replacing for approx. £130. I’ve contacted Toyota quoting this thread. More to follow if they answer.

Depends when in 2013 your Yaris was first registered as to whether it is still under the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty.

Malcolm Hi, I assume you have a hatchback. Remove the cover (2 x trim plugs and 2 x screws). Prise out the light strip (2 x clips, one each end). Disconnect wiring plug.Refitting is reverse procedure. Try and get one from a scrappy, and ask if you can watch how it's done.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, I contacted Toyota customer relations and within the hour I was contacted by the dealer who ordered and arranged with me a visit to replace the light. I was lucky that when the fault was discovered the car was ten days inside the warranty. LEDs are efficient but why not fit standard LEDs instead of a unit costing £130 to replace.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Malcolmz1 said:

why not fit standard LEDs instead of a unit costing £130 to replace.

Presumably ease of fitment during production. Other manufacturers do similar - eg an LED rear light for a Hyundai ix35 is around £700.

• Like 1

I’m afraid ease of fitting doesn’t wash with me. A unit with replaceable LED(s) is no more difficult to fit than one with non-replaceable LED(s), it’s more to do with restricting spares choice and extending the profit stream post vehicle purchase.

1 minute ago, Malcolmz1 said:

I’m afraid ease of fitting doesn’t wash with me. A unit with replaceable LED(s) is no more difficult to fit than one with non-replaceable LED(s), it’s more to do with restricting spares choice and extending the profit stream post vehicle purchase.

It is what it is.

Mike

Thanks for monitoring this thread. I hope Jayt13 was able to sort his issue. Last week the government announced a drive to get manufacturers to make “things” more repairable. While “it is as it is” as you say, there is no need for it to remain so. 

But it won't change with this generation Yaris, which is due for replacement.

• 1 year later...

Contacted a Toyota dealer who failed to return my query regards supply and fit of third brake light . So glad they didn’t get back to me , purchased the unit from the Toyota eBay store £76 & delivered in two days . Very easy to fit remove black cover in top of boot hatch , remove connector and press down on the 2 metal retainer clips while pushing out . Slide the new unit in and it literally clicks into place , re connect and it’s done . 5 minutes and simple . When you purchase the new unit you’ll see how the clips work 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 3:44 PM, Roberto yariso said:

Contacted a Toyota dealer who failed to return my query regards supply and fit of third brake light . So glad they didn’t get back to me , purchased the unit from the Toyota ebay store £76 & delivered in two days . Very easy to fit remove black cover in top of boot hatch , remove connector and press down on the 2 metal retainer clips while pushing out . Slide the new unit in and it literally clicks into place , re connect and it’s done . 5 minutes and simple . When you purchase the new unit you’ll see how the clips work 

Hello Roberto,

I have just received 3rd light from toyota eBay and I want to change myself. Please can you tell me:

How did you remove the black cover inside the boot hatch? Did you use any tool screw driver or not? I am worried should not break anything.

Toyota quoted me £128 a couple of month ago and yesterday, I called Toyota parts department told me the cost £71 then he passed on to booking dep, they said light is £85 with half an hour labour it will be £160 total. I was shocked. Then I found your post.

• 2 months later...

Hello you don’t need any tools just your hands the black cover just pulls off then press on the metal clips to remove light fitting refitting in revere order 

• 5 months later...

Yesterday I unfortunately damaged the housing of the high level brake light while trying to fit in a awkwardly shaped object.

The light unit is totally fine .

I want to know is it possible to buy a replacement housing without a new led light unit.

Thanks Gwynfor