Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Yaris Icon alloy wheels paint

RonBin

I may not be in the right forum and if I am, I apologise but I am looking for recommendations for alloy wheel paint for my Yaris Icon. I know they sell wheel paint in Halfords but I want to make sure I get the right colour. Can anyone advise me please?? 

On 7/8/2018 at 5:04 PM, RonBin said:

I may not be in the right forum and if I am, I apologise but I am looking for recommendations for alloy wheel paint for my Yaris Icon. I know they sell wheel paint in Halfords but I want to make sure I get the right colour. Can anyone advise me please?? 

Have you had any luck with this Ron? Are you proposing a full respray or just touching in damage/stone chips? Which alloy wheels are they? I have an Icon+ of the same vintage so possibly the same wheel type and colour.

That link of Bob's just goes to their general website and I couldn't find any option to enter reg. number.

I have it on good authority that Toyota do not provide paint or even a code for their alloy wheels. I have trawled the internet to try and discover any information about the colours to no avail.

However, I have found a very close colour match for my wheels.

21 minutes ago, mrpj said:

That link of Bob's just goes to their general website and I couldn't find any option to enter reg. number.

Try this: http://www.carpaintrepair.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000000.pl?SS=alloy+wheel+paint&ACTION.x=0&ACTION.y=0&page=search&PR=-1&TB=A

MRPJ, Thanks. I have one or two scratches on the near side rear wheel which need a bit of TLC. I don't like to leave them as they are. My icon is a '64 version too so it is highly likely the colour of your wheels will be exactly the same as mine. Will you give me the name of the paint you have, its  brand and where I could purchase some please? Sorry about the delay in replying but have been away for a couple of days.

Cheers,
RonB 

Are your wheels like this, Ron?

IMG_20180718_104622.jpg

Thanks, Ron. I'll start with a disclaimer😂. I accept no responsibility if the colour isn't close enough.

Try this  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-A80-Ferric-Grey-Alloy-Wheel-Repair-Kit-Touch-up-Paint-30-50ml-Free-P-P/332395291928?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=541409830966&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 

The fine brush which may be selected is ideal for small scratches. I could only find this paint as a touch up. If you do purchase this colour test in an inconspicuos place, eg. the recess for the wheel nuts and wait for it to dry. I did touch in a couple of small scratches and it is a very close match.

There is also BMW Ferric Grey 2 but not quite as close, although I would accept the comparison.

As a comparison, this is a wheel I completely resprayed with an aerosol can of BMW Ferric Grey 2 plus clearcoat. Taken under fluorescent light and no flash.

IMG_20180718_161220.jpg

Oh, and that's a Morris Minor hubcap, bottom right.😎

Thanks for your help however, could you send me the link to the supplier for the wheel paint you purchased, the BMW one please?? I have lost your post somewhere..... It's an age thing you know..

Cheers,

Ron

" It's an age thing you know.. " Got the tee shirt!

The paint for touching in was purchased from eBay but I could not find aerosols in that colour. The link for that is in my post on Wednesday. BMW Ferric Grey A80. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-A80-Ferric-Grey-Alloy-Wheel-Repair-Kit-Touch-up-Paint-30-50ml-Free-P-P/332395291928?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D98bb47cc039848c091ad5bb8feee2d6c%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D142728393141%26itm%3D332395291928&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

The paint which is available in aerosol, I wouldn't use that for a partial respray, not an exact match( neither is the A80). That is BMW Ferric Grey 2 B55. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-FERRIC-GREY-2-ALLOY-WHEEL-B55-TOUCH-UP-PAINT-30ML-CURB-SCRATCH-M-SPORT/142728393141?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

mrpj, Have a look at "Scratch Doctor" Alloy Repair. I have discovered they do wheel paint for Toyota, all cars. I found a dried out packet in my garage, one that I had used ages ago. They will send you a kit for £10-00, well worth it, the paint matches excellently. Just Google Scratch Doctor and follow it through.

Cheers

Ron

I checked them during my search.

They just send a generic silver colour for all alloy wheels in spite of the all Toyota models claim. It is silver, not grey and far too light in colour.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to conclude this and for anyone wishing to refurbish and paint their own wheels of this type and colour, picture attached of my car showing both wheels. One is Toyota's "factory"colour and the other is BMW Technik Grey 2.

IMG_20180803_081722.jpg

Can't tell the difference. I have the paint and am ready to go however, it is so hot at the moment I am waiting for it to cool down a bit. Thank you for all your help, very much appreciated.

Cheers, Ron

Good luck Ron.

I don't seen to have the edit option in my previous posts. I may edit this one though.🤔 I want to correct to BMW Ferric Grey, it's NOT Technik Grey.🙄

The front wheel is a complete respray with Ferric Grey 2.

Peter, are you saying then that I have bought the wrong paint and used it for my touch up? I got the BMW ????80 which was in your post. It's not a problem if I have, I can always get the right one and over paint or rub the old stuff off. Did you use lacquer to cover the paint once you have applied it? I will go back to the link you sent me and see if Ferric Grey is included there .

Cheers,

Ron

Peter,

I have checked back and it was Ferric Grey you suggested I should purchase so there is no problem. What about lacquer, did you use that??

Cheers,

Ron 

Yes, definitely Ferric Grey as my link. Sorry about the mention of Technik Grey - don't know where that came from, age again.🙄

I have used clearcoat/ lacquer. The front wheel is a complete basecoat (Ferric Grey 2) respray plus the clearcoat which came as a package.

However, I touched in some minor stone chips on another wheel , two days ago and added a dab of clearcoat to those. I have a Toyota paint touch up "kit", the car's colour, it includes the clearcoat which I used for the "dabs".

As mentioned previously, it is not an exact match. I think if the front and back wheels were placed side by side the very slight difference could be seen. Respray two wheels and fit them both on the same side. 😎😄

I once bought a car that had different wheel trims on one side to the other. Months before I noticed.

Easy done I suppose especially if it's a car you really like and want. I have touch up kits for both a black and red car so I will have a go with them.

Thanks for your help.

Kindest regards,

Ron