Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2014 Touring Xcel wing mirror

bells0

This car has been flawless and a great little runner since i bought it used 2 years ago.

Disaster struck today when an idiot thought he should have more road than me - and 'bang' went my wing mirror [driver side]. Clown didn't even stop [his fault, passing a parked car so was on my side of the road].

So, i have a smashed outside casing, indicator casing and glass. Glass seems easy enough to replace, its the outer case [island blue] and clear indicator part that don't seem to easily come up via google. This is the electric folding, heated version.

Any pointers? Don't want to involve insurance, but equally don't want to spend £300 or what ever a new unit is!! Gutted. So gutted.

Send a personal message to Parts-King detailing your car (reg no as a minimum) and what you want. As regards the colour, the colour name isn't what you need to quote - it is the colour code. Should find the colour code on one of the VIN plates in the engine bay under 'C/TRM'.

Hi Chris

sorry to hear of your incident,from what you have said your auto folding still works ok

and thats good as you can buy a 2nd hand mirror from a lower trim level with the parts

you require and rebuild yours we have an icon model and it has heated mirrors.

you could try this company as they do have some Auris's in stock at the moment

i think they sell for around £120 2nd hand.

https://www.car-transplants.co.uk/parts-breaking/

Cheers guys

Yes, still folds in fine and glass moves via toggle. So i need to be looking for at least an Icon? The indicator cover looks pretty tricky to get apart - i assume it is possible and not integrated into the main housing?

I would think that the outer casing at least is standard across the range (& you might be surprised how cheap it may be from a dealer already painted, probably ~£40). a heated glass I imagine is available as a 3rd party part if need be. was the indicator part led or just a normal bulb?

Is just a standard bulb, which is still working. But it is enclosed in a clear bubble shaped lens, that took the brunt and smashed.

Had a quote from parts-king, does come in more expensive as the three seperate parts, unpainted, than a used whole scrap one. Decisions.......

Ended up getting a replacement from motorhog, they knocked a little off, so paid £95 for the correct blue. Just hope the condition is ok as in their pictures.

Expensive day trip out......

Thanks for the advice guys, hoping it's an easy job to get the indicator part off and onto mine.......

you will probably find the indicator unit is seperate from the housing and will come away from the housing

i would replace the indicator bulb with a new one to save having to take the whole assembly apart in the near future.

to remove the mirror glass tilt the bottom of the mirror out as far as it will go,if you then put a little hand pressure

on the mirror and pull it away from the housing you will create a larger gap at the bottom

you will now be able to see the black clips holding the mirror onto the motor plate the gently pry the clips off one at a time

by placing something blunt in between the glass and the motor plate you wont damage the mirror

once the mirror is off there will be 4 to 6 screws to undo and remove  ,the housing will now come off.

just take your time and you wont have any issues swapping the parts over.

Thanks for the tip mate, appreciated. Found a youtube vid on getting the surround and indicator covers off - so the glass seems to be the only thing with no video help. The indicator looked a lot easier on the video than looking at how it was locked in, in person.........

Assumed it was easy to sort the glass seen as mine dropped straight off after the smash and was left dangling with the heating wires. I just gently pushed it back into place [cracks and all] - seems to be some sort of white tag that must go somewhere.

since your glass is broken using gloves remove the loose glass so you can see

how the mirror is mounted to the motor plate this would give you a good

understanding of how its fitted before starting on your good replacement mirror

you will get a feel of how much pressure is required to unclip the mirror without

having to be concerned about breaking anything.

dont be concerned about the white tag it will go back in the right place when the mirror is mounted

Do you have a Dashcam? If not get one! If you did have one, you could have identified the car - easier during daylight. I would have pursued for a brand new replacement at the other owners cost, so long as the other car was properly registered and insured! 

I did a how to remove the Avensis door mirror cover, which I assume is similar procedure to the Auris - 

The following images gives you an idea of the Auris door mirror - AURIS HYBRID UKP |  MIRROR

and the indicator 

AURIS HYBRID UKP |  SIDE TURN SIGNAL LAMP OUTER MIRROR LAMP

From the image above, the signal repeater is a standard 501 bulb. Cheaper than the LED fitted to the Avensis.

There are some selfish drivers out there, hence the dash cam. I got a video where I was passing some parked cars either side, and the oncoming car didn't want to give way, but stopped because there was only enough room for one. Replaying the video showed I was correct.  

No Dashcam, certainly something to think about after this - always the case isn't it!

Thanks for the replies all, really appreciated. Full replacement assembly is due to be delivered today, hopefully get it sorted before a certain football match tonight......

7 hours ago, Konrad C said:

I did a how to remove the Avensis door mirror cover, which I assume is similar procedure to the Auris - 

I believe that some Avensis & Auris models use the same wing mirrors.

Well, i did it! Surprised myself as tend to break things when i get my hands dirty!!

Hardest part was getting the painted cover off the replacement mirror - took a lot of swearing and painful finger ends to get it off. After that it was pretty much plain sailing.

Thanks for all the advice you lovely people, £95.00 lighter through no fault of my own, but could have been a lot more costly without advice received. Maybe i can sell the remainder of the unit for a few quid too?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links