Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid system seems offline

ArranB

In the last week I’ve had a problem on three separate occasions. It’s as if the hybrid system isn’t working and it’s driving like a standard petrol car! When I brake I can tell the regeneration brake isn’t working by the feel and also the traction Battery isn’t charging as the vehicle slows. Also the engine is staying on when it should be off as well as thr rev’s being a lot higher than they should be when slowing down etc. The Battery does charge with the engine running but very slowly! Even with the Battery over 55% charged it still used the ICE even with very gentle acceleration and it won’t let me use EV mode. It just says EV not available. I did wonder if the hybrid battery was too hot considering the extremely high temperatures we’ve been having and it’s only shown this problem in the middle of the day when ambient temperature is at its highest. I’ve checked and cleaned the vent grill in the rear of the car and it’s clear. Removed the boot tray and there is air coming out of the other end. 

There are no warning coming up and no fault codes are being logged 

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions??

Edit: it’s a 2012 Auris T Spirit 5dr 1.8 VVT-i Hybrid

These symptom usually show when the Hybrid Battery is too hot, check the intake for the Battery fan is not blocked, also strip out the fan as the earlier cars do not have intake filters so after 6 years its quite likely the fan is blocked with fluff/lint. Later cars are clever enough to see this and pop a warning light/message on.

Toyota made a filter available for cars that suffer clogging such as Taxis etc part number G92DH-12020

IMG_0568-1.jpg

• Like 1

This is what I suspected might be the problem. The intake is clear but I haven’t stripped the fan itself. I’ll do that later in the week if I get a chance and look into the filter. I’ve not looked it up yet but I take it the filter sits in the intake cover? Thanks for the advise, I’ll update once I have a look 

Do you use the a/c when it’s hot as the cooler air could help cool the Battery? Just a thought I had.

13 minutes ago, Cjohnston1982 said:

Do you use the a/c when it’s hot as the cooler air could help cool the battery? Just a thought I had.

Sure do. Each time I’ve suffered this problem it’s been when the car is like an oven! On the return journey after the car has cooled down with the a/c it’s been fine 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. Took the advise given and removed the fan. Took it apart and cleaned the fins. Wasn’t as bad as the one pictured above but was a bit clogged. Seems to have sorted the problem totally 🙂 

thanks for the help 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ArranB said:

Just an update. Took the advise given and removed the fan. Took it apart and cleaned the fins. Wasn’t as bad as the one pictured above but was a bit clogged. Seems to have sorted the problem totally 🙂 

thanks for the help 

Now you've cleaned it buy the filter, then you only need blow the filter out from time to time and the fan will stay clear.

• Like 1

Looking into that now! Do you know if it has to be bought from the dealer?

• 6 months later...

Where is the fan situated and what needs to be removed to get access thanks

21 hours ago, Grandprix said:

Where is the fan situated and what needs to be removed to get access thanks

check this video, all explained in there:

2 hours ago, hybridcoffee said:

check this video, all explained in there:

Great if you have a 2014> Auris but the question you replied too comes from someone with a 2012 Auris which is totally different to a 2016 model and has no filter on the hybrid Battery air intake, as mentioned previously in the post there is a add on filter available from Toyota

Mk1 Auris HSD 1.png

Mk1 Auris HSD.png

On 2/8/2019 at 10:23 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Great if you have a 2014> Auris but the question you replied too comes from someone with a 2012 Auris which is totally different to a 2016 model and has no filter on the hybrid battery air intake, as mentioned previously in the post there is a add on filter available from Toyota

Oh sorry. Just didn't noticed that.