Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Japanese handbooks

RVREVO

One of two problems with Jap-import cars is that the handbook manual and radio are in Japanese. Or in case of the radio it can be in several Asian languages.

The cars get shipped overseas but nobody takes into account that foreigners do not read Japanese.

The annoying radio that came with the car would talk every 30 seconds, and just could not find the mute button. Swapoed the entire radio out losing some key things, but the new radio had a navigation system and GPS and more channels for the radio.

Fortunately the handbook had pictures. As I like reading comic books, worked out most of what I  needed to know.

One of the cool things is that it displays the outside temperature. As i live in a subtropical climate that is always handy.

My car is a 6 seater. Front seats are electric. Middle seats are manual and then there are the kiddie seats at the rear. 

This is the first time i have a car with a flat floor space. All too often seats are in the way.

The rearmost seats are interesting. Lift and pull seating up and click in place. To store away simply pull the backrest lever which unlocka and pulls the seat back in place. Then fold backrest down. Middle seats the seat pulls up and forward jamming in footwell and backrest falls flat. As it is a 6 seater it has a multifunction armrest mid cabinet. Release and fold forward it becomes flush between the seats.

One of the pictures showed the steering wheel does not only go the usual up and down, it also can slide back and forth. This is the first time i could put my legs under the steering wheel. More legroom. 

Richard k

Handbooks/manuals can be found for SOME models but it's not always an easy search. Oz and NZ are usually good places to look.

I don't think the fact that Japanese is the language used should be so surprising..after all, you are buying a JDM model (Domestic Market)...and not meant for "other" markets outside Japan.

It is a  small price to pay for having a well spec'd model with all the bells and whistles you could want..and all at a very reasonable price..and usually in excellent condition too...particularly underneath !!

As you have found out, you can usually translate diagrams/pics etc ...and after over 2 years of ownership there is little I don't know about my Estima.

My original handbook that came with the car is in Japanese and it's useful up to a point...very often common sense and logic can fill in the gaps. (assuming you know at least a little about motor vehicles.:wink:)

I have never felt the need for a translated handbook.

• Haha 1

Yes indeed.

The Mark X ZiO is a remarkable model made between 2007-09. The 2009 upgrade has gone to be an exported SUV, but its really an oversized wagon. 

Estima is still on my wishlist, probably the Hybrid. But for now will just enjoy driving this model.

Monday had to get a new Alternator installed. Went for the 100 Amp which is more than enough to run the extras. Nice to have a year warranty on my alternator.

So for any South Auckland or North Waikato kiwis on the forum, would recommend Bloxham Automotive in Papakura. They fixed my car same day.

Richard k

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links