Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help interpreting MPG D-4D

nigel-surtees69

Hi All

I have put a deposit down on an Auris 1.4 D-4D 2014 with 37000 miles on the clock. I was interested in the MPG as this is the main reason I am part ex'ing my current car. I drove the car very gently at 30 mph for about 6 miles and 70 on the motorway for about 10 miles. The MPG on the trip (between the clocks) was reset before the journey as the Battery was flat. 

The mpg did not act the way I expected it to. It started at 0 and very slowly climbed to 5 mpg over about 1 1/2 miles. It slowly climbed to 31 for the whole journey.

I ran a Yaris D-4D for 4 years and 55 000 miles and it returned £65 mpg so I was expecting somewhere around 55 mpg.

I noticed in the manual that there are multiple ways that the car can work out fuel economy. I am booked in for another test drive tomorrow. Can anyone shed any light on the strange MPG readings I saw?

It can take quite a while for the computer to adjust to your driving habits. For example, a full tank on my car shows around 850km worth of fuel but if I were to go straight on the highway non stop I could easily drive 1000km.

Does the car only show final mpg or can you also see current reading?

I only saw 1 reading. I reset the trip on my car this morning to see how it displayed the mpg initially and it immediately shot to 28mpg and very quickly rose to 40mpg with a couple of miles. Its a Mercedes c200 so shouldn't be a s economic as the Auris. I expected similar behaviour from the Auris which leads me to think it wasn't really showing me mpg.

I have a 2014 Auris 1.4 D-4D and have been getting anywhere between 45-55 in the city depending on the type of roads (eg start stop or constant) and 55+ on motorways. Which model variant is it, mine is excel and you can view the current mpg along with the average on the multi information display between the speedos and is reset by holding the disp button. You can also view current mpg and previous average mpgs through the Toyota Touch screen by pressing car.

Hope this helps. 

Edit: I have been using AC all the time due to hot weather so this prob affects the mpg a bit (only bought the car a month ago)

It takes quite a while for the MPG reading to settle at something realistic. Apart from that I have the idea that the "cruise range" is not affected by the average MPG reading but by a longer average that isn't reset if the driver resets the average MPG reading...