Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stop Start system

Ian Stevens

Hi, I'm a new owner to the Forum who needs a bit advice if possible. I recently bought a 2009 Toyota Auris 1.3 vvti TR with the Stop Start technology. The weather as most in the UK will know, has been hot for several weeks now and I have needed to use the Air-Conditioning so wasn't concerned that the Start stop system was t kicking in and working. As it was cooler today I checked and drove the car without any Air-Conditioning, up to temperature etc to see if it worked but it didn't. The car was taken to the local Toyota Dealership for an outstanding recall for the passenger air-bag and I asked them their opinion. The system check showed that there was a fault showing between the ECU not talking to the Stop Start system as the Battery may have been disconnected possibly due to a change of Battery. The Battery is good and able to do the Stop Starting. They said that it will kick in and work at some point as the car has to drive for a period so that they can then communicate. They could not give me any idea of the mileage needed to drive for this to happen. I was wondering if anyone here on the forum has seen this and has any idea of the mileage needed.

it is a great car and I am really enjoying driving it but want all of the systems working including the Stop/Start.

Thanks in advance for an replies.

Ian, Edinburgh,Scotland.

I've had two Auris with the stop/start system (2009 & 2012). It will operate within certain parameters, including but not exclusively, when:

* the Battery has sufficient charge

* at temperatures above approx 4 degrees C

* the car does not have a heavy electrical load (eg. ,a selection of heating, air con, radio, hrw, etc being on at the same time).

If you have the owners manual, that will give a bit more detail.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I've had two Auris with the stop/start system (2009 & 2012). It will operate within certain parameters, including but not exclusively, when:

* the battery has sufficient charge

* at temperatures above approx 4 degrees C

* the car does not have a heavy electrical load (eg. ,a selection of heating, air con, radio, hrw, etc being on at the same time).

If you have the owners manual, that will give a bit more detail.

I've posted over the stop/start in the past, and while accepting it takes information from various sources as to whether it will cut in or not (as Frosty mentions) it still seems somewhat random. A typical example would be yesterday. Weather warm and aircon on (I always leave it on 24/7) and the stop start operated every single time I pulled up, even the first time at around 0.15 miles from home. Today and similar usage and it didn't cut in at all. And that is somewhat typical I have to say. Todays run even included a few miles of motorway and fast A roads and so no worries over Battery charge.

Even from brand new and it would behave like this. One day perfect, the next not cutting in at all (and some times everything in between). I'm sure there will not be any hardware faults, its seems more like less than perfect software algorithms managing everything.

I can also confirm that disconnecting the Battery in no way affects the stop/start operation and it should behave normally pretty much immediately.

You might find these interesting: 

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/129256-ecu-reset-on-the-133l-seems-to-have-corrected-an-issue/

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/111738-unexplained-133-stop-start-behaviour-anyone-else-notice-this/

Thanks Frostyballs. I have a handbook and see the parameters but just wondered about the mileage needed to drive before the Stop/Start system will work. Vehicle is being driven without the air-con, no heavy loads on electrical system and battery is good and the correct type for Stop/ Starting.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links