Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My boardcomputer has been reset over night

nielshm

This morning all my trip data was set to zero. Fuel, avg. speed, trip A and B etc.

What's happening? Car started right up, so batterypower seems fine. Any ideas?

Sounds intriguing. Without knowing more I would be inclined to say 'unknown/unexplained software glitch' and then follow that up by disconnecting the Battery to reset everything. All you can do after that is see if it happens again.

You can ask the dealer if they have ever heard of this before, or it could be that you are seemingly the only person on the planet to experience this... and fwiw that is the situation I have with a drivability issue with my 1.33 that only manifests every 12 months or so. A reset of the ECU and its 100% fine again. Am I the only person in the world to come up against this issue. At the moment yes as there is no evidence to the contrary, and the same could be true for you.

• Like 1

Other people reported similar issues happening, seems to be a glitch that has not been fixed for many years.

I even have it on a 2007 model, except the trips  are not reset. For newer models it's more random.

• 1 month later...

And once again this morning, everything has been reset. 

I wonder if the car has to stand for a certain period, or it could happen any time the engine has been turned off? 

In my case it was happening in winter mostly, when i don't drive for a few days. Battery is around 40% good now, in winter it needs more power to crank, and boom, resets.

I doubt if it's anything else, though i haven't tried checking the trip meter, then trying to crank.

Also, for me, every time it was after standing for certain period, must be at least overnight.

• 8 months later...
On 8/24/2018 at 9:50 AM, j66 said:

Welcome to the mysterious reset club emoji3.png

I've also joined 😑  Happens to me too, seemingly at random.   I wondered if I was accidentally resetting by some button combination when switching on, but it seems not.  Last time it happened was early this year; now it's happened twice in the space of a fortnight.  I wonder if this is a fixable bug or just a quirk.  It's not a showstopper of course, but annoying all the same.

Car will run fine, it's just a quirk that happens. For me it was always in cold weather when car was sitting for a few days. 

I got a new Battery now, and works fine, but this always happened during cold weather when the car needed to pull a bit more current to start.

Will have to wait for the next winter to see how it works out.

The difference of course is that my hybrid doesn't use the 12V Battery to start the engine, which starts using torque from the electric traction motor (there is no starter motor as such) when it's cold or the traction Battery charge drops below a certain level.  The 12V Battery just powers the ancillaries, but whether it has been getting low on charge, leading to the reset, I don't know, but I haven't noticed anything that might indicate this.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links