Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 Keys 2004

Ormolu

I have just bought a 3-door 2004 RAV4. 

The previous owner gave me a genuine Toyota key that works correctly but has no remote buttons, and a separate Toyota key that does not fit in the locks but the buttons open and close the doors.  What have I got and how can I get some keys that work AND operate the remote door locking?

Did he mentioned why the 2 keys? I presume ignition barrel was changed?

2 hours ago, furtula said:

Did he mentioned why the 2 keys? I presume ignition barrel was changed?

I believe the ignition and door barrels are all original.

I think the key which operates the door and starts the car could be the service key.

The key with remote buttons has the wrong blade cross-section so I think it came from a different car.

The buttons work but the key is useless.

I just tried the ignition key in the glovebox.  It does not work.  I therefore conclude that I only have the service key.

Purchase a new remote case from eBay and get the key cut to the pattern of the key that currently works. Transfer the remote module from the old remote to the new remote. The old module may be fitted with the correct immobiliser chip so check if the new remote key will start the car. If not, you’ll need to swap the chip in the remote module with the chip that’s embedded in the original key. There’s YouTube videos on doing this.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you.  I followed your advice and purchased a new remote case from a Toyota dealer for £41.  It came ready cut to fit my locks and it had the correct transponder inside.  They even transferred the remote buttons from my old key to the new one. 

£41 isn't too bad for a genuine Toyota case ready to use. You could have got away with around £10 for a case from eBay + cutting the blank key at a local locksmith. The transponder chip is inside the button unit so it sounds as if the chip was the correct one for the vehicle. At least now you have a working non-remote key as a spare.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links