Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2007 2.0 1AD-FTV Manual sudden loss of drive

Kennycab

Hi all

I have a 2.0 diesel avensis 2007 with 6 speed gearbox, 162k miles on the clock. I stopped in a layby earlier today then went to pull away again, for a second it was fine then all of a sudden there was a bang and the power went. I thought it had jumped out of 1st gear but when I tried to re-engage the gears and released the clutch the engine revved up but there was no drive. Stopped at the roadside I am able to put it in any gear with the engine running and release the clutch, the engine continues to run but the car does not move. There is no real noise other than normal but I think I can feel the problem when I press lightly on the clutch pedal. Suspicions are that the centre of the clutch driven plate has sheared, dual mass flywheel has come apart or something of that nature. Has anyone had a similar problem with their car ?

If it's the clutch / dmf then it's perhaps beyond economical repair, hoping it's something quicker and cheaper to identify and fix.

Many thanks

Ken

Another possibility, going to take a look at it this morning so will post again when I have found the problem

It is indeed a snapped nearside driveshaft ! Hopefully that's all and I will be back on the road this afternoon.

20180712_101331.jpg

Got a new driveshaft from motor factors, slightly different but fitted fine and car is now sorted. The actual shaft is quite a bit thicker than the original. Looks like I have a couple of spare cv joints now too.

20180712_112729.jpg

20180712_131930.jpg

Was it rust under the damper that caused that ?

Oh and can you say how much that was ?