Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car wont go into EV mode when stopped

Dave Lynch

I'm looking for help with an issue with my Toyota.

My Car is a 15 plate Toyota Auris Hybrid, which I have used as a taxi for the last year. Since Easter I have been having an issue with an intermittent fault. After the car has been on for a couple of hours the EV mode stops working and the engine stays on. It won't enter into EV mode at slow speed. It won't enter EV mode, activating the stop/start, at traffic lights. It won't enter EV mode, and switch off the engine, when Park is engaged.

The engine keeps running similar to when the hybrid Battery needs charged, only this is happening when the Battery level is full, or near to full.

As I use the car as a taxi I have a number of extra devices running in the car (taxi meter, sat nav, dashcam) and these take a direct feed from the 12v Battery. Originally i wondered if the 12v battery was struggling with the extra devices, signalling the engine to supply power to the 12v battery. However I note that this has not been an issue for any other taxi driver I work with. I have changed the 12v battery but the problem has remained. Recently it took 47 minutes of the engine idling in Parked before the engine disengaged and normal EV mode resumed.

I have also had the car serviced at Toyota (Western, Newbridge, Edinburgh) within the past 2 weeks along with a full hybrid battery check and everything came back fine, with Toyota saying they found no issues. 

Any ideas?

Perhaps it might be as per this recent post:-

Moved to the Auris club.

Check your hybrid Battery air intake filter ( intake is in front lower edge of rear seat ) pop the intake cover off and there is a gauze in the intake i bet it is full of fluff/lint  

Untitled.png

• Thanks 1

Hi Lee. Surely this is done when the dealership checks the hybrid system which Dave has had done. Bob.

Cheers guys

I've cleaned out the hybrid Battery air filter this morning, as suggested, and I'll see how that goes. The filter was covered in lint.

I did ask Toyota Newbridge to do this when the Battery health check and service was being conducted and they refused.

Cheers 

Dave

The filter should be cleaned with a large service however people with pets, children or high traffic in rear seats such as Taxis can clog the filter quicker than this hence the warning message its a simple job described in the owner's manual along with the explanation of the warning message

• Like 1

because of this post i just checked our fan and luckily it is clean

Just an update.

Now a week since I cleaned the filter and no further issues.

Again many thanks to everyone for their help.

Dave

• Like 1

My car doesn't have this problem but I thought I'd check the filter anyway.  I can't see how to lift the rear seat squab to get access to it though.  Can anyone assist please?

I found out how to remove the squab on the internet but I wasn't expecting to have to remove mouldings to get at the filter.  Looking back at what was said in earlier posts the answer was there but I was expecting it be simpler.  I think I'll let sleeping dogs lie...

Can you please share the instructions you have found on the web?
I’m interested in doing it myself
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) there are 2 clips on the rear seat base if you put your fingers under the cushion and slide them you will find the clips

put your hands either side of the clip and sharply pull upwards,repeat on the other side and lift the base out.

2) you will now see the 2 clips that secure the under seat panel to the seat frame remove these and the panel your fan intake can be inspected.

I think it’s also important to remember that there is many CPUs and sensors managing the hybrid system taking into account things like Battery maintenance, air, Battery and oil temperatures. Without knowing the parameters and programming it might be difficult to decide if there is a problem or not. It would be better if the system gave the user a little more information for people who wants it.

I’ve just had the same problem and it was the traction Battery getting too hot! Removed the fan that blows air through the Battery compartment in the rear of the car, stripped it down and gave it a good clean between the fins of the fan using a paint brush and vacuum cleaner hose and the problem is resolved 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is it the same procedure for a 2017 Auris ?

I’d like to know how to get at the fan.

On 7/30/2018 at 8:51 PM, ShimonElkabetz said:

Hi..

So I tried to take a look and saw that there was no filter in front of the fan..is it ok?

IMG_1364.HEIC[/3acd0407c622969c4a2daa177687c87c.jpgurl]

Auris built before April 2014 did not have a filter. Toyota have made an add on filter available if you need one, order G92DH-12010 from your local Toyota dealer

On 7/21/2018 at 10:27 PM, ArranB said:

I’ve just had the same problem and it was the traction battery getting too hot! Removed the fan that blows air through the battery compartment in the rear of the car, stripped it down and gave it a good clean between the fins of the fan using a paint brush and vacuum cleaner hose and the problem is resolved 

To reduce the chances of the issue happening again order the add on filter from your local dealer part # G92DH-12020

Whats the procedure to get at the fan on a Gen4 Prius 2016

9 hours ago, j66 said:

Is it the same procedure for a 2017 Auris ?

I’d like to know how to get at the fan.

Yours will have filter just behind the the intake, remove the outer cover pull the filter off and blow out any accumulated debris 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Whats the procedure to get at the fan on a Gen4 Prius 2016

No need to access the fan just the filter ( should be cleaned at a full service ) pop off the cover and blow out the filter ( circled )

Untitled.png