Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rough idling and smoke 1AD FTV

smiley12345

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2008 auris 2.0 D4D, and I have been having an ongoing problem over the last few months. During a cold start, the engine will rough idle at around 1000rpm whilst blowing lots of smoke out the exhaust. After around a minute and a half it will drop to 800rpm and behave normally. 

Whilst rough idling in the first minute and a half, if I put slight pressure on the gas pedal to bring it to say 1100/1200 rpm, I can feel a vibration through the pedal and lots more smoke will come out the exhaust. There seems to be a 'sweet spot' between 1000 and 1200 rpm.

I've been trying to find information for months and it usually comes down to smell and colour of the smoke. It is definitely not a 'sweet' smell, it is hard to describe the smell, although it is a harsh and distinct smell.

It is also hard for me to differentiate between the smoke being white or blue, I mean all smoke is either white, grey or black right? how blue is the blue smoke meant to be? Unfortunately I cannot tell if the smoke is blue or white, it is just kind of like a light grey, although there may be a very slight blue tint, however I'm not sure if that is just my mind playing tricks on me.

Also, there has no loss of oil or coolant. 98000 miles, serviced regularly.

if anyone has experienced this before or knows what the issue is, any help or input would be very much appreciated. many thanks in advance

Sounds very much like it's running on 3 cylinders. Could be an injector that's about to go south or a pre-heating plug that's behaving badly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links