Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Check parking brake system message :-(

AvensisWales

Hi,

The title message started coming up 100 miles before my 10k service. It went in for the service and fault reported and pictures of dash sent to email over the service desk. The car had this same message come up only a few hours later after the service !!! Also all the digital info is removed from the dash to display this message, cruise control is intermittent and when the speed limit is pressed I get another message saying "check speed limiter system".

Does anybody know if this is common, is there a fix and should it have been fixed while being serviced?

Thanks,

Since the car is only two years old and very low mileage, take it back to the dealer and complain. I checked your earlier posts, to notice you have the 2 litre diesel. You also mention towing a trailer. These may or may not cause the problem. What you need is diagnostic check. 

• Like 1

I hope it's nothing to do with towing a small trailer, as I told the main dealer I was buying the car for my business and towing a smallish trailer around the country is what I needed the car for. This is the very reason I had Toyota buy and fit a tow bar to the car before I collected it. This would be the first large 2l diesel estate car that I've owned in 10 cars that can't tow a trailer with out problems if it turns out to be the towing giving the issue!

I bought the car at one year old, but had only been registered to the garage and only 9 miles on the clock. I've now had it one 10 months and done 10,500 miles. Been back to the garage a few times for problems already like the screen camera fogging up etc, not a good start for a car so young 😞

Should have bought the Subaru !!!!

I believe the check parking brake message is a fairly generic warning. I have the 1.6 version of your car and had the same warnings as you. The cruise control would drop out with no warning. It ended up going into limp mode occasionally. I read the codes and it was an ERG fault. This was replaced ( after waiting 6 weeks for the part) under an outstanding recall ( released after the previous service). You really need the codes read, and that should point you in the right direction. I read them myself with a bluetooth connecter and torque app on my phone as Mr Toyota wanted £110 to connect it to a computer - only refunded if it was a warranty item.

I too have the problem with the front laser not working because of the screen fogging up- what did Toyota do/say about it?

Toyota have introduced a new camera system with inbuilt heater to cure the fogging, also there is a recent engine management update and as said an egr recall.

All these are done FOC under warranty.

I regularly tow a caravan 1400kg to the south of France without problem.

There is indeed a recall on my EGR, going it on Monday.

The fogging camera was 'fixed' a few months ago, by fitting a hearer thing in the camera void. That hasn't totally fixed the problem as I still got messages after, but then we went into summer, so we'll see what happens in autumn. Mr Toyota managed to mash up the internal roof light plastic while 'fixing' the foggy camera and had to replace it after I went mad at him!! He also managed to put two dents in the side of my car while it was in. Cost me £150 to have them properly pushed out (didn't trust him at this point even though he said he'd fix them!) !! He also left the pole tool  thing used to calibrate the camera on my back seat !! What a joke !

I really think I should have bought a Kia or Subaru!

• 8 months later...
On 7/16/2018 at 12:57 AM, AvensisWales said:

Hi,

The title message started coming up 100 miles before my 10k service. It went in for the service and fault reported and pictures of dash sent to email over the service desk. The car had this same message come up only a few hours later after the service !!! Also all the digital info is removed from the dash to display this message, cruise control is intermittent and when the speed limit is pressed I get another message saying "check speed limiter system".

Does anybody know if this is common, is there a fix and should it have been fixed while being serviced?

Thanks,

Hi Robert,

Did you get this issue resolved as I am getting the exact same problem?

Kind Regards,

Hi Gareth, welcome, to TOC 🙂

There are so many interlinked sensors in these cars that an error in one can have a knock-on to another resulting in warning lights/messages/behaviour that don't seem to relate to the actual original fault. You should get it code read. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links