Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid RPM

Berengaria

I'm seeking views on what RPM the engine is running at in the Hybrid Yaris cruising on a level at 70mph?

Obviously, the car doesn't have a rev counter (this instead being the charge/economy/power indicator), but someone must have rough idea. For example, has abyone driven a conventional petrol CVT version (that has a rev counter) and the Hybrid to be able to compare?

In the Hybrid Yaris I recently drove, cruising on the motorway at 70mph, this equated to the needle on the charge/economy/power indicator being level with the end of the 'O' where it's marked 'Eco'.

Revs seemed fairly relaxed, although road and wind noise seemed to drown out the engine tone mostly.

I had a Honda Insight hybrid prior to my current Yaris Hybrid. In both cases, determining the RPM at 70mph is variable with CVT gearboxes  , dependant on the load. The Honda had a tacho, and would burble along all day at 70mph and 2500 RPM , get a bit of a hill and it would rise by 2000 rpm. 

Not missing the tacho on the Yaris , it's hybrid setup is way better and more advanced plus a whole lot more economical,  the Honda though is way better on handling and startlingly quick acceleration in comparison. 

Torque pro with a cheap bluetooth will give you that extra dial so you can see it while you drive.

As hybrids are more electrical you may get extra information related to the hybrid but I am just guessing.

Hi, you could plug in a bluetooth OBD  sender, pair it with your phone and read it off. Can I ask 'why' you need to know the given RPM?? I just use the power gauge and MPG return to keep a check. High up in the power band and RPM will be about 2500, and Battery draining. A 1.5 ltr engine wont be screaming at 70 mph.

14 hours ago, Berengaria said:

For example, has abyone driven a conventional petrol CVT version (that has a rev counter) and the Hybrid to be able to compare?

I own a 1.33litre Multidrive "c.v.t." petrol Yaris🙂

At 70mph (indicated) the rev. dial needle sits at about 2.1k rev/min or a tad lower/higher depending on parallax error.🤔

9 hours ago, Bomber209 said:

Hi, you could plug in a Bluetooth OBD  sender, pair it with your phone and read it off. Can I ask 'why' you need to know the given RPM?? I just use the power gauge and MPG return to keep a check. High up in the power band and RPM will be about 2500, and Battery draining. A 1.5 ltr engine wont be screaming at 70 mph.

Considering buying one. I mainly do motorway miles, and having an engine that can sustain that speed at relatively low revs is much better for the engine internals as well as comfort. The one I drove seemed quiet at that speed, but then the engine noise seemed well insulated anyway, somcoildnhave easily disguised the engine running at over 2.5k rpm, which is too high these days.

Obviously, can hear the revs when the CVT spools, bit I'd be guessing that will be at least 4k revs.

Would never consider a Yaris Hybrid for mainly motorway use, economy isn't great and pretty awful in crosswinds.

Achieved 60mpg on a recent motorway journey in one in what appeared to me to be a comparable level of comfort to my V-Matic Avensis, which only manages 47mpg on the motorway, isn't as good to drive and costs £190 more to tax.

I have had my new shape yaris for exactly a year now, done 16k miles in it majority motorway (all be it during rush hour so mostly 50-60mph!). Over this time I've averaged real world (tank to tank) 56mpg and in summer 60mpg. On a long run (300 miles) with cruise control at 70mph I normally average a displayed 58-62mpg which isn't too bad for a petrol! 

Overall its not the most refined car on the motorway and is noisy up steep hills but it's been reliable and economical in my first year. 

I would say that is impressive I only get 44.3 but I do no motorway driving occasionally I do 50 though 40 is the speed limit, though my avensis is 36.1 so not so good but all under 40 mph speed limit.

Yesterday, I drove from here in Cornwall to Bedford and back, a tad over 500miles for the round trip ............. A30/M5/M4/Swindon/Oxford/Bicester/Buckingham/MiltonKeynes/Bedford.

63.8mpg.

Aircon on .......... 28degC outside, and set to 20degC in the car.

I was using cruise control for the majority of the route and was set at 65mph as per the speedo.  Heavy stop/start traffic M5 Bristol area, and slow traffic M5 near Exeter on the way home.

Mick.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:45 PM, Berengaria said:

I'm seeking views on what RPM the engine is running at in the Hybrid Yaris cruising on a level at 70mph?

With low load at 70 mph and 99mpg on the readout, I saw that the car was doing around 1300 rpm, so I believe the CVT can give at least 60 mph per 1000rpm which is amazing. BTW the info was via the OBD port and an app.

• 2 weeks later...

1300 RPM is obviously very low, but that's expected when the car is effectively coasting at 70mph without the accelerator being pressed.

I wonder what a constant 70mph being maintained is on a level motorway - the power gauge needle was about level with the end of the 'O' where it says 'ECO'. If the ordinary petrol CVT is about 2100 rpm, then I'd expect similar from the Hybrid.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links