Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Creaking noise, when turning on the steering wheel

Daniel815

Hi all,

I have a 2014 Toyota auris touring sport 1.6 petrol with approximately 87000 km on the clock. I have had the car for around 1 year. The creaking noise occurs, when I turn sharply on the steering wheel to the (right or left) or when I drive over a a speed bump with a slow speed, though I can't hear the noise every time. The noise is only hearable with low speed.

I have had this noise since I bought the car and the Toyota dealer that I bought the car from told me that there is nothing wrong with the car and it's just noise from the brakes. I have ignored the noise since, until I was asked by my wife the other day, what this creaking noise was. I have since started paying more attention to this noise.

Any idea what the issue might be?  

The car has been booked for service at another Toyota dealer at the end of August.  

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have had something very similar on our 2013 Hybrid Auris, it has not returned yet since what was listed in the last attached post was done, but I am expecting this silicone oil spraying to be a six monthly procedure (maybe). 

This is an easy job that can be done with the car still on its wheels (10 mins?), although easier still when the car is lifted up. 

The silicone oil spray cost me £3 from Lidl, but any will do.  Silicone oil is an excellent rubber preservative and a reasonable lubricant. But don't get any in your eyes when applying though; it is extremely water repellant and very tenacious.

Great thanks for the advice and the link. The issue that you had with your car seems indeed to be the same issue that I have. luckily it's not something serious, since the car is out of warranty now. I will see, if I can get the Toyota dealer to do it, when they do the service on the car. Thanks for your help.

Hi Daniel. Have you not got the 5 year warranty that would take you to 2019. Regards Bob

Hi Bob, no because it's petrol, so only 3 years warranty in Denmark. 

• Like 1

Anti Roll Bar bushes sound most likely to me - I had it with a Ford, it was quite a loud graunchy sort of sound. It's possible that the Toyota warranty will decide to call it wear and tear, but even then, it isn't a massively complicated repair.

You replace both sides at once, if only because once you've got the car propped you might as well do them both. Reckon 45 minutes of mechanic time, at the outside.

• Like 1

I would agree with your diagnosis, Countrylad, except on our car, when I removed the anti-roll bar bushes, (it was almost enjoyably easy), and thoroughly silicone greased them, the noise nature/frequency was unchanged, a big surprise. I should add that the rubbers are simple mouldings rather than metal/rubber combinations.

About 2 weeks later I sprayed silicone oil on the lower suspension bushes (A-frame bushes) and, despite expecting no improvement, the noise went away.

By this time the dealer had already replaced the anti-roll bar drop links and the macpherson strut top mounts under warranty, which had not changed anything.

FWIW, there is a TSB for noisy strut top mounts. The drop links were replaced as they were damaged when the dealer tried to detach them from the strut - they weren't worn out.

• Like 1

Thanks Gerg & countrylad for your qualified suggestions. Yes it seems not to be difficult to change the anti- roll bar bushes. When you mentioned the anti- roll bar bushes, I recalled that we had a similar noise couple of years ago on my wife's car a Mitsubishi colt and the noise was also due to the anti-roll bar bushes, though the noise was more noticeable, than the case on my auris. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread but my 2016 Auris has the same issue. I reported it to the dealer when it went in for a service but nothing was done. 

How odd...

My 'DIY silicone spray fix' still appears to be working. I applied some more spray as a precautionary measure whilst the wheels were off and the brakes were being cleaned about 2 months ago.

HTH.

Hi,

I also reported the issue to the dealer, when I delivered the car for service two months ago, but they told me that nothing was wrong with the car. So I have ignored the sound for now. It's though still annoying to have a wired sound that is not supposed to be there. I hoped that I will be free of those wired sounds, when I traded my Octavia in for an Auris. I hope though still that my Auris will be more reliable than the Octavia 😀

• 2 weeks later...

I have a little of that. Not worried about it.

• 1 year later...

On 7/19/2018 at 1:19 PM, Gerg said:

By this time the dealer had already replaced the anti-roll bar drop links and the macpherson strut top mounts under warranty, which had not changed anything.

FWIW, there is a TSB for noisy strut top mounts. The drop links were replaced as they were damaged when the dealer tried to detach them from the strut - they weren't worn out.

Toyota stealerships are clowns.

I started my own DYI projects since my Dashcam recorded how they treated my property, twice! And I paid for those services, a lot!

Much more cost-effective and time saved. I gathered tools and knowledge on the way. Those 3rd gen hybrids are reliable vehicles and easy to maintain.