Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear seat removal on 5 door 2004 RAV4

Mike Gamble

I’m really struggling here, I just can’t work out how they come apart!

Ive folded them down and there’s a whole host of handles, levers and pulls but, I still can’t get them out!

Im guessing there’s a simple way?? 

11 hours ago, Mike Gamble said:

I’m really struggling here, I just can’t work out how they come apart!

Ive folded them down and there’s a whole host of handles, levers and pulls but, I still can’t get them out!

Im guessing there’s a simple way?? 

Yes, It's a piece of cake. Once the seat is flat, pull the tab which projects out of the top of the seat, and then "tumble" the seat up and forward, and it will lock, pointing upwards.  Then pull up the release at the bottom (looks like a bar across the bottom), whilst pulling the seat backwards and upwards.

‘projects out of the top of the seat’

Mine seems to be under the seat and come out of the rear and when I pull it, nothing happens?

I got rid of my 04 Rav last year but from memory I think you pull on lever at top of seat and fold flat, then there’  a metal lever on each seat on the floor (back of seat boot side ) you lift allowing the seat to stand upright but folded, then pull on a material tab which sticks out which realeases the hooked catch to allow the seat to be lifted out or something like that. Can be more tricky putting back in just make sure you get the correct bar to clip hook into but once worked out very easy. 

Easier if head rests removed if I remember too.

Yes, I got that a bit wrong, so I've just tried it.  The thing at the top of the seat is pulled to fold it down, as Grumpy said.  Then you lift up the latch on the outboard side of the seat base (low down).  If it won't move, put some weight on the flat seat (say a knee) to relieve the tension, and it will shift.  I have to squat in the luggage space to do this - I've tried from the open rear door, but no go - can't get the pull.  The seat will then tumble.

Then either pull the webbing strap or grab the metal bar to which it connects.  I do the latter, because you have to grab it anyway to lift the seat out of the lower latch points.  The strap is really to "untumble " the seat, once you have re-installed it.