Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hiding Dash SatNav holes.

AygoBoi

Hey guys and girls,

I have removed the satnav unit in my 2011 Aygo go! as its pretty outdated and after installing a new head unit its not easy to rewire up. My question is how should I cover the holes left from the cables on the satnav mounting divot? would it be easier to get a used centre console and just replace it, or my other idea was to use some sort of plastic material and stick it behind the head unit. This would still show the cut-outs slightly but would hide them a bit. The benefit for the holes is that I can have the microphone for my new headunit wired up through it and stuck to the dash.

Has anyone done this before? and found a decent way to improve the rather shoddy looking holes.

Hi Jimbob and welcome to the board. 🙂

You could buy a new or used centre console as they are really easy to replace but you might find that the holes come in handy if you want to fit an after market sat nav.  I actually removed my centre console to drill a hole at the back of the "Letter Box" area so that I could feed the lead for my Garmin through it,  I then attached a metal plate to the back of the Garmin (Black Gorilla Tape but you can't see it and it looks fine ) and used a magnetic  phone mount like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072SL74GY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Set back into the space.....The Garmin now sits flush on the shelf and is easy to attach and remove.

Another thing that you could do is to use the holes to feed the lead through for one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071473MG5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It plugs into the OBD socket at the base and to the left of the steering column.  I used to be a great fan of the "Torque app" from Google but I now have one of these at the bottom of the "A" pillar to give me a heads up speedo and a water temperature gauge.  In your case the size of it is perfect for going into that "letter box".

Once you have done any or none of that,  the holes can be easily covered up with a sticky-backed pad.....You can get them in various sizes from Amazon, eBay or Wilkinsons and if you get one big enough you can just cut it to fit the back of the aperture, cover any holes or (in my case) secure any leads coming through by making a hole that is only big enough for the lead and that stops the usb plug from going back through.

If all you do is to get a sticky pad, it will only cost you a couple of quid and it will look neat,  before you do anything though, have a think what you could do with that shelf as it is really handy and could be a place for something that needs some kind of feed to it.

All the best and tell us how you get on.  😃

Hey Neil ,

Thanks for the very detailed response. Currently I have my microphone for my Head unit and my phone holder mount on the shelf, with the wire for the microphone going through one of the holes. I do like the sound of potentially having a phone charger going through the other hole. As I prefer using my phone with Google maps to a dedicated satnav. That HUD is very nice but a bit overkill for me haha, but it does look very cool. I think the plastic behind the centre console may be the best bet. I'm still upgrading my Speakers so Ill need get behind there again anyway, and may even have the control for my new sub wired through there too and stuck on with an adhesive pad.

Again thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.

Jimbob