Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattle from Rear, doing my head in.

Helisupp

2 weeks in, and an annoying rattle has now gone.

Spent hours putting foam pads everywhere in the back trying to stop an annoying tapping nosie.

Today I took the rear trim off the hatchback, and the insulation pad (hard and brittle) had come unglued and was loose inside , stuck back on, aaaahhhhh so quiet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a 2011 IQ with 40K miles, and the nearside front suspension rattle was investigated by Toyota last year and they said it was through non-Toyota brake pads being fitted (by the previous owner). This was checked again by an independent garage last week when it went in for a service and MOT. They said if it were brake pads it would be a similar noise on both sides, and in their experience brake pads didn't rattle like that anyway. Also they'd never had a problem with after-market brake pads not fitting properly, so they disputed the Toyota dealer's assumption. The independent  garage changed the union joint as being the most likely cause (no charge), but it made no difference. The car sailed through the MOT on the same day, so it's not something that affects the car's safety and didn't show up on any part of the test. On the motorway the car is fine, but at low speeds driving on our pot-holed urban roads it's incredibly annoying. I'd like to sell the car because I don't use it much these days, but I need to get this rattle sorted in order to sell it on in as perfect condition as possible. I have a RAV4 which has been trouble-free for 14 years, so the Toyota IQ seemed a proven reliable alternative to unknown town cars such as the Fiat 500 etc.

The brake slider pins cause a rattle on Avensises, possibly the same on IQs.

• 1 month later...

Now sorting the "slow speed" clunking from the front suspension, cannot find any play in anything, or anything loose.

Drop links changed......no difference.

Now going to fit 2 new front struts at weekend, should only take an hour, they are only £130 a pair from Toyota.

Will update if still clunking..

Brake slider pins replaced last week, no difference........£20 wasted..........dohhhh.

Happens all the time at low speed (under 20mph) both wheels, power on or power off, turning or going straight, happens from a couple of mph to 30 mph ish.

There is no play in anything at all, and changed the drop links just in case it was them.

Once I change the struts on Wednesday I will also inspect top mount bearings, and thats everything that moves eliminated..........so will look for next step then.

My mitsubishi EVO had same noise from new as well.............

Do you hear it on both wheel when it happens, or just at the wheel which is hitting the bump/hole?

Checked the sway bar bushings?

54 minutes ago, Helisupp said:

Happens all the time at low speed (under 20mph) both wheels, power on or power off, turning or going straight, happens from a couple of mph to 30 mph ish.

There is no play in anything at all, and changed the drop links just in case it was them.

Once I change the struts on Wednesday I will also inspect top mount bearings, and thats everything that moves eliminated..........so will look for next step then.

My mitsubishi EVO had same noise from new as well.............

Top mount bearing is your problem - replace them with shocks (struts).

I removed both front struts today and replaced with new items at 27,000 miles..

The top mount bearings are as new and no wear or play at all, but put new ones in anyway.

Took 2 hours to replace the struts including a cuppa tea, tracking will be checked in the morning at local tyre centre as the steering wheel is now slightly off centre (my pet hate).

Will report tomorrow on suspension clonking sound if there is any change in noise (I doubt there will be).

Ignore the manual, there is no need to remove any plastic trim in engine bay, top mount nuts easily accessible.

Road test completed, no clunks, knocks or any noises from the front end, silent as new.

Thats a relief, nicer to drive now and not "listening" for the front end clunking.

Worth 2 hours work.

• Like 1