Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg

Kevinuckfield

Hello again everyone.

So, average mph says 64.4. Range left says 240 something. From full I have done 98.8 miles and guage hasnt moved from full. I know that the guard works as it was on a quarter when I filled up. 

Is this info supposed to be accurate? The range left was at idling. 

I worked out that each segment on the fuel guage is 1.28 gallons. 35 ltr - 7.7 gallons fank- 6 segments on guage so therefore 64.4mpg x 7.7 = 495 miles. If I have done 98 plus the 240 that I supposedly have left that would equal 338. 

Very puzzled 

Edited by Kevinuckfield

The fuel gauge, in common with some other Toyota models, works in a non-linear way - so when the tank is full the initial gauge segments will be slow to extinguish and as the tank empties, the remaining gauge segments will extinguish more quickly. Something you will get used to.

Thanks Frosty. Had a car that did similar so will watch carefully. 

My 1st segment lasts about 110 miles🤔

On my iQ🙃

Dave, my first segment has lasted 118 miles and still not gone out! 

Not sure how the thing works but when i filled up i had done around 30 miles and average mpg was 66, each day it goes down. 3 days later it says 64. Cars drive me nuts lol

I would not rely on bars on a fuel gauge as an accurate way of determining mpg.

Full tank to full tank is much more accurate I would think, but with that you need to be consistent on what is a full tank. I put the fuel nozzle in a far as it goes and maintaining pressure on the handle I wait until the pump clicks off, wait a few seconds, then press the handle once more until the pump clicks off. Then I note and record the mileage and the amount of fuel put in.. The more miles you do until fill up the more accurate it will be. When ready, fill the tank in exactly the same way as stated above, and record the mileage.  You know how much fuel you used for the miles travelled. Divide miles by how many gallons (you have to convert litres  of fuel used into gallons), and bobs your uncle, you have miles per gallon fairly accurately. As said more miles you do, the more accurate the reading becomes.

I cannot for the life of me understand why people are obsessed with range/segments/miles per tank etc etc, drives me nuts!

Here is a tip for you all. Fill the tank, when it gets to a half or quarter tank, go to the fuel station and fill it up again, no stress, no strain, job done :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Kingo.

Totally 100% agree with you!

Mike.

Presumably it is the same as other models, where if one puts less than 15 litres of fuel in, it may give false readings as regards range, etc.

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Presumably it is the same as other models, where if one puts less than 15 litres of fuel in, it may give false readings as regards range, etc.

Not sure to be honest Mike but would assume so, I fill up, usually £40 ish, lasts me about 7-10 days, currently doing 60.5 MPG in my Auris Hybrid 

I'm with Kingo on this one, I've said quite a few times, when this question has been asked that what I do is to reset the trip meter when I fill up.  I run my Aygo on that and when it gets anywhere between 250-350 miles, I fill up again......I gave up trying to work out the fuel gauge about three weeks after I bought it.  😄

Don't get me wrong, i like to know my MPG, I "sometimes" look at the range (which is about 520 miles on a full tank) but if it said 500, or 600, to be honest it would not bother me, I fill it up when around a quarter tank, to wonder why it takes 100 miles on the first segment or just 50 miles on the second segment just drives me insane, life is too short to be meithered about such things  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have just bought a 2015 Aygo & have no faith in manufactures figures.I will work it out tank full to tank full my self hopefully it will be 60 + MPG.

More like 50 MPG Ken..Let us know how you get on..

6 hours ago, X5Ken said:

I have just bought a 2015 Aygo & have no faith in manufactures figures.I will work it out tank full to tank full my self hopefully it will be 60 + MPG.

The good news is that the standard test that all manufacturers have to put their cars through is changing such that more realistic mpg figures will be publicised. Of course, this will only apply to the future and not help current owners. And we will have to remember that how one person drives may well be vastly different to how another drives, so there will still be disgruntled drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be upset if its as low as fifty,My BMW X5 v8 i run on LPG @ 55p Lt works out to at least 40mpg.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:15 PM, Catlover said:

The good news is that the standard test that all manufacturers have to put their cars through is changing such that more realistic mpg figures will be publicised. Of course, this will only apply to the future and not help current owners.

Not quite accurate.

Every new car introduced since September 2017, will have been tested under the new WTLP programme. Current models which will be on sale new after 1st September 2018, are expected to have been tested using the new programme, and the new figures made available to customers.

Obviously this doesn't apply to vehicles which have ceased to be available before September.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 6:38 AM, dave hendy said:

My 1st segment lasts about 110 miles🤔

On my iQ🙃

Yes I remember that from my iQ

Well over a hundred miles and  all bars still  lit .... then bars disappearing  with increasing speed and final bar flashing before you knew it. I  got into the habit of refilling once the first bar had gone and certainly by the time the  second blipped out.

It was very annoying and anyone not used to the car would run the  real risk if running out of fuel.  I can only conclude that as  it was perceived as a city car where there is a petrol station every half a mile this  didn't matter.

Aygo is a  similar non linear design but I would say it is a bit more " sensible" 

I've mentioned it before elsewhere, but the fuel gauge on my Aygo is about as accurate as a 19th century weather forecast. It is the only thing which disappoints me about my little car. I have to rely on the trip meter to tell me when I need to fill up. 

When I got the thing the fuel gauge was indicating half full. I ended up putting about £40 worth of fuel in it to brim the tank! The fuel warning light can be of no use with a system as inaccurate as that. 

I have got to about 150 miles and the gauge has only lost one bar, obviously the trip meter tells a different story as to fuel used so when filling up it has takes fifteen to eighteen quid to brim. 

IMHO it is completely unfit for purpose. I've owned many cars and some with wayward fuel gauges, but none even comes close to being as useless as my Aygos.

My 1st segment lasts about 110 miles[emoji848]
On my iQ[emoji854]

Amazingly last week I got 154 miles from the 1st segment [emoji15]

According to my mpg on the gauge I am getting 58.1 mpg from my 1 litre mostly on my 7.5 mile commute (each way) I used to get 52 mpg from my Yaris diesel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Up date : my mpg has just worked out at 58.4 thats tank full to tank full,happy enough with that.

That's good. Update on mine is 62.5 during warmer weather and 61.5 at the moment. Very impressed 

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:26 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The fuel gauge, in common with some other Toyota models, works in a non-linear way - so when the tank is full the initial gauge segments will be slow to extinguish and as the tank empties, the remaining gauge segments will extinguish more quickly. Something you will get used to.

and that sounds completely logical.  Its not important how far you gone with the first bar still there. Its how much is left when you get down to the last bar. Especially driving at night and you find fueling stations closed. S the less bars you have and the quicker the next ones drops means you should be filling up again.

I am not the most economical driver Kevin,I am used to driving my X5 4.4 V8.