Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2012 2.2 d4-d dpf - how reliable

markquinton

Hi Guys

I'm in the market for a new estate car and was looking for a petrol engine due to the lack of dpf and dmf issues however I have stumbled across a perfect 2012 (62 plate) T-spirit tourer with the 2.2 d-4d engine which if I am correct is slightly different from the 2.2 d-cat which i had in my 2010 t-spirit a few years ago. Is the dpf system very reliable on the 2012 and does it regenerate sufficiently by itself if a few short journeys are undertaken? 

I only work about 20 minutes from work but the car would get up to temperature quickly as the first 10 minutes are on dual carriageway. I also do a few local trips around Norfolk for work. My head says the petrol is the better option but I love the condition of the car and you can't get anything higher than T4 spec in the 1.8.

Any advice is welcome on this particular engine is welcome

Regards

Mark

I had a 2.2 T-Spirit which was perfectly reliable  but I didn't really do massive mileage (it went at ~60k/5 years) so before you might reasonably start expect to be running into DPF or DMF issues. It had a good mix of motorway/dual carriageway & urban useage though which probably helps over people who largely do urban only in a diesel.

afaik the manual does use a slighly different engine/DPF from the auto transmission which used the D-CAT system to compensate for the worse mpg & therefore higher emissions of the auto.

The manual used to return ~ 42mpg overall for me  but it can vary drastically depending upon your useage/driving style. The auto you can probably knock 5mpg off that.

Driving wise it is certainly an easier car to trickle around in than the manual petrol (I can see why HonestJohn rated the 1.8 CVT vesrion as his favourite if you do a lot of city) due to the torque at low rpm & definitely more shove from low rpm when accelerating hard. Against that the 45/18" tyres give a harder ride & are more prone to (expensive) damage.

They definitely did offer 1.8 Excel at one point, not sure about T Spirits.

Thanks for the response. I had the 2.2 d-cat and only did minor local mileage without any problem but i know others have had issues. Do you know if there have been many reported issues on this forum with the manual setup?

My 2.2 d-cat returned pretty poor mpg, pretty much bang on what you suggested. I then moved to a 2.0 petrol turbo octavia vrs which did much better mpg surprisingly.

Didn't realise they did a 1.8 excel so thanks for that. The car i'm looking at is a white tourer with 18 inch wheels and the car looks so much better with a black panoramic sunroof hence why i'd rather the top spec if possible.

#

I don't think that there have been any reported issues of that ilk on this forum for a car of that age.

That 2.2 Tourer  will have come ex-factory with a tyre repair kit & no spare wheel. Unless the previous owner bought a spare check the date on that - it will probably be expired. 

Tbh the panoramic roof is more use to people in the back rather than the front - for me it's not worth the price new but obviously if a s/h car comes with it & you don't pay any extra for it... 

& be prepared for tyre replacement at regular intervals of the 45/18" tyres.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links