Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bluetooth won't connect to phone when Hot

yorkieshaw

When the sun has been shining in through the windscreen and the x touch head unit has gotten hot, it won't connect to my iPhone, but after 10 minutes with the air con blowing over it, I can switch the car off and on again, and it connects straight away. 

Just wondering if anyone else has this small problem or even noticed this?

Well, a couple of days ago my phone inexplicably  failed to connect to the head unit.  Never ever had this problem before. Thinking about it the inside of the car was blisteringly hot so you may be onto something.

10 minutes later it was fine. It all connected imediately as normal I admit I did restart the phone so may be a red herring and a phone issue  ... but it is a coincidence.

I'll see if it happens again if we get any more of these excessive temperatures.

I tried switching the phone on and off but it was having none of it, then after ten minutes with the air con on and while at a set of lights, I switched the car off and on, it connected straight away. Now I know about it's not really a problem unless someone rings in then I can't answer it.

Just thought I'd mention it for other people who may have an odd connection problem occasionally.

Same here, happened once last week.

OK . Seems like there may be an issue. Relatively few cases but could be something in it.

Anyone know the  best way to ask Toyota if there could possibly be a problem or make them aware of a potential issue?

At the risk of talking  to myself and answering my own posts

I might drop an email here and see what kind of response I get.

Technical Issues

For help with phone connectivity, navigation and My Toyota:

Open Monday to Friday from 9:30am - 5pm

0344 701 6202

multimedia@toyota.co.uk

My solution is if I'm leaving the car anywhere where the sun might shine in through the windscreen, I chuck a bit of white towel over the head unit, and this keeps the heat off it.

The other day I was down at Brands Hatch and forgot to put the towel over it, but I also left my phone in the phone rest above the head unit, I went back for my phone a couple of hours later and I had an over temp warning on the screen of my iphone 7+, never seen that before.   It was that hot I could only just hold the Phone, thanks fully it still works.

Reply form Toyota:

Fairly standard " ask your dealer" response but this is from 1st line support and  infers it  may be passed to someone more technical for comment.

I sent 

Dears Sirs

You may be interested  to know that there are an increasing number of people on one of the Aygo Owner forums  that  are experiencing Blutooth  phone connection issues during the recent exceptionally hot weather in the UK.

Put simply when the interior of the car ( and hence the head unit) is  very hot after sitting in the sun their phones do not connect to the head unit. 

Once the interior has cooled maybe after 10 minutes, the phone connects immediately as normal.

I have experienced this affect  myself in my 2018 Aygo X Clusive.

A relatively small number of  owners  have joined the thread and  reported this problem but , I think you would  agree,  it is quite a coincidence.

Are you aware of any limitations to the technology/known issues that would cause this phenomenon?

Reply from Toyota

Dear Nick,

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear about your experiences with your Toyota AYGO vehicle.

We are not aware of any known issues affected by the weather changes.

We would advise contacting your local Toyota Dealership who will be able to assist with this particular query as they are look into this matter for you with their technicians. 

Please visit https://www.toyota.co.uk/find-your-dealer to find your local dealership and speak to the service department.

I will update you with further comments from our support team.

OK

happened again this evening

30+ degrees exterior temp car been in direct sunlight for a few hours so interior surfaces too hot to touch. 

"Blutooth  connection failed"

5 minutes and a blast from aircon later ...immediate connection.

I don't for a second think Toyota will acknowledge the issue as a fault or even less offer a fix ... but at least other Aygo owners who find this thread can note it is happening to others.

+1

I've been having the same problem.  Most days recently when I've come out of work it hasn't wanted to connect when it's been sat in the sun all day.

Well, to their credit Toyota Technical did reply to my email.

They made a very good point in that they Aygo is a "world car" and is used in climates much hotter than the UK is at present.  They were "unaware"of any issue relating to heat and blutooth.

I figure  "they" are Toyota UK. So unless the support agent was able to access worldwide customer issues database , with respect, they may well be "unaware" but that doesn't mean it hasn't been reported.  We got into a conversion about what phone I was  using and firmware version  but that is , I'm fairly sure , irrelevant.

I politely asked if Toyota UK  could log a technical query with Toyota Japan  Quality Team ( I work for a Japanese company and they would take such a thing  seriously I assure you). A long shot , there may be no mechanism within Toyota UK to do that.

I also suggested that as many of his colleagues at Toyota UK might drive Aygos and he ask around !!!   Well seems obvious to me!

Anyway,  as I said I'm not sure what Toyota  can or would do but this problem , but he thread serves  to inform anyone having similar problems that they aren't going mad there seems to be an issue ... or shall we say "feature"

Thanks for the feedback Dark Matter, and keep us informed of anything else they come back with, not that it will get fixed, but it might for the models that come later.

The same is in C1 where the same Pioneer equipment is

As the  rain is now coming down sideways and there is a cold wind I guess the issue has resolved itself !

I wonder how low the temperature needs to go before the Blutooth stops working 😉

• 11 months later...

Well I’m glad I search this problem and found this thread, my aygo won’t connect to phone if it’s been too hot, really frustrating.  I’m going to speak to the dealership, as this is a year on from this thread they may have some idea of a fix by now?!

There is a Technical service bulletin for this issue:

BE-00098T-TME

26th March 2019

Subject: X-TOUCH Display Audio - bluetooth connection not working properly in hot external conditions

Area of Application: All Markets

Model Codes: Aygo - KGB40, PAB40

Description of the phenomenon: Some customers may experience and report that when they would like to start to use the Bluetooth-function OR during usage of the bluetooth function of the X-Touch Display audio unit in hot external conditions, they encounter error messages generated by the unit (error code 03, error code 01, ...) or even a total bluetooth disconnection (e.g. interrupted audio streaming)

Production change: The following has been changed: The software of the X-Touch Display Audio-unit has been changed to "0850" to counter the previous described Bluetooth related phenomena.

Repair procedure: No need to replace any parts, the repair procedure consists only of a software update.

Well there you go .. it worked ! Toyota responded to feedback and did something!!  I was almost 100% certain that if Toyota Quality team in Japan received a  TQ about an issue they WOULD take it very seriously and investigate. As I said I work for a Japanese Engineering company ( Hitachi)  in Quality Assurance so I know exactly how this would have been handled.

It is very timely - this has been annoying me a lot recently in the extremely hot weather.  Every damn night after work I have  to start my car , wait for the connection to fail.... drive a short distance enough for  the inside to cool and then stop to restart the car which reboots the X-Touch , and hey presto-  instant connection!  ... and I have phone connection on my commute.

The same will happen if you have a dash cam in the windscreen, that’s in full glare of the sun.

in very hot weather I put protection over the windscreen. This is in the form of the frost protection I put over in the winter. Works just as well keeping the cabin cooler when parked in very hot weather.. it’s very unpleasant coming back to your parked car and the interior is uncomfortably hot, and everything you touch is a danger to the skin ie steering wheel. Makes complete sense to keep the inside as cool as can be.

• Like 1

OK car booked in for software update in a couple of weeks. Interestingly as  this is a technical Bulletin and not a recall the update will only be caned out at customer request. So if this is  problem for you I suggest you contact your dealer.

Recalls only occur if there is a safety issue. Other issues are dealt with via service bulletins or similar

55 minutes ago, Dark Matter said:

OK car booked in for software update in a couple of weeks. Interestingly as  this is a technical Bulletin and not a recall the update will only be caned out at customer request. So if this is  problem for you I suggest you contact your dealer.

and what will the software update do? Obviously it cannot adjust the temperature of the sun.

• Haha 1

I suspect it's a relatively simple parameter adjustment to increase the threshold whereby  software causes the bluetooth transmitter to disconnect due to an over temperature reading.

Why this needs to happen remains a mystery.  Thermal cut outs normally protect tempersture sensitive  components from being fried...

I must assume Toyota know what they are doing !

Maybe the original software was a bit too cautious

Any way looks like my Aygo will be connected to the Toyota servers for up to an hour whilst the update downloads and installs.

Talking to the service tech it was clear they have never done this update before ..... so here's hoping !

• 3 weeks later...

Software updated Friday. 

Issue is now resolved. The Car got extremely hot several times  over the weekend but  the  Blutooth connection was unaffected and connected as normal.

As the car was under Warranty there was no charge and included safety check and Wash and Valet.

I suggest anyone who is troubled by this contacts a  dealer who will  carry to the update. 

On 7/5/2019 at 7:56 PM, Devon Aygo said:
There is a Technical service bulletin for this issue:
BE-00098T-TME
26th March 2019
Subject: X-TOUCH Display Audio - Bluetooth connection not working properly in hot external conditions
Area of Application: All Markets   Model Codes: Aygo - KGB40, PAB40   Description of the phenomenon: Some customers may experience and report that when they would like to start to use the Bluetooth-function OR during usage of the Bluetooth function of the X-Touch Display audio unit in hot external conditions, they encounter error messages generated by the unit (error code 03, error code 01, ...) or even a total Bluetooth disconnection (e.g. interrupted audio streaming)   Production change: The following has been changed: The software of the X-Touch Display Audio-unit has been changed to "0850" to counter the previous described Bluetooth related phenomena.   Repair procedure: No need to replace any parts, the repair procedure consists only of a software update.

My wife rang the dealer today to book her 3 year 2 month old Aygo in for this problem saying about this and the dealer is saying she might have to pay [emoji15] surely this is covered under warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk