Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Took delivery this week of new Prius BE plus

Tom stuart

Proud driver of new White Prius. Love the experience and using Qi phone charger, adaptive cruise control and HUD especially so far. 300 miles under my belt now with an mpg of 73 including motorway and single carriageway driving and a little urban. Amazing! I talk about it on this weeks Pixelswim tech podcast.

When will the podcast be available Tom??

interesting to read your assessment of the Gen 4.......although I pretty much know what you are going to say even now!

Hi Barry the Pixelswim podcast no. 26 episode was published yesterday by Steve Heinrich from USA. My bit about first impressions of the tech in the Prius after only 24 hours comes  near the end.

hi,  do you have a cd player?

Im getting conflicting info and am due to pick my car up next week.

Yes my BE+ has a CD player. Looks standard fit to me. Do you know as i type this i am thinking i havent tried to play a CD in it. What if it is just a disc drive for map updates? You have me thinking..if I wasn't sitting in garden in dressing gown looking after a poorly dog I would check now!

The brochure shows CD player as option. Hmmm I will get back to you within the hour

I just put in a Garth Brooks CD into the CD drive slot and it plays fine!

Yes my BE+ has a CD player. Looks standard fit to me. Do you know as i type this i am thinking i havent tried to play a CD in it. What if it is just a disc drive for map updates? You have me thinking..if I wasn't sitting in garden in dressing gown looking after a poorly dog I would check now!

The brochure shows CD player as option. Hmmm I will get back to you within the hour

After a week with my new Business edition plus I am getting 80mpg on 100 mile trips of mostly motorway and 90 mpg on 12 mile commutes to work no M way. These are computer figures. I filled up yesterday and reset trip to measure actual consumption.

very happy though and so much tech to get to grips with!

Roll on tomorrow.  back to a Prius after trying out an Auris for a couple of years.  The Gen 3 was so much better, so hears hoping the Gen 4 is even better.

My dealer is still suggesting that there is no CD player, that could be interesting.

Just tell him Garth Brooks CD played fine in my week old Prius BE plus! And i have a radio channel for the test match in a car for the first time in 20 years!

I feel like Mr Incredible squeezing in to a low slung Prius after four years in a seven seat shed called  Seat Alhambra!!

Picked mine up on Friday.

dealers leave a bit to be desired:

They still said "No CD player",  but hey presto, there is one

I asked them to turn of the reverse beeper, they turned off the sensors, they offered to fix the problem on Tue, but I managed to sort it myself

Two issues, that they can't answer straight away:

1     Rain sensor wipers are coming on even if no rain, dealer is confused because there is no "Auto" setting on the stick, but there is what I believe to be the "sensor setting" (Little window-screen picture with jet of water). is there a way that we, the owner, can possible change the sensitivity.  Dealer want the car on Tue, but some of us have to work and they will only provide a courtesy car at a cost.

2    Trying to get to the setting part to switch such things a RSA on and off. How do you get to that point.  I have achieved it on two occasions, but when I try to follow the same steps, i sometimes find that the menu is not there.

Other than that, all is good.  Tomorrow will be my first commute to work, so lets see how the MPG compares to the Auris.

14 minutes ago, kevin h said:

Does your profile need updating.

Profile updated.

Cheers Frostyballs

8 hours ago, kevin h said:

...Rain sensor wipers are coming on even if no rain, dealer is confused because there is no "Auto" setting on the stick...

When the Gen 4 was launched, only the Excel had rain sensing wipers - AFAIK that hasn't changed.  If it doesn't say AUTO on the stalk, I don't think you have them, just variable intermittent, which would explain why, when selected, they work without rain.

The water jet icon is referring to positions that activate screen wash.

I access the RSA on/off by using the RIGHT hand steering wheel buttons to move the screen along from the usual Battery charging/powering display to the cog wheel at rhs of display and select that. The RSA is between the HUD and the mph/Kph  option

Toyota added rain sensing wipers to more models this year.

There are some equipment changes for the 2018 Prius, the latest generation of Toyota’s pathfinding hybrid electric car. Automatic wipers have been made a standard feature on all versions apart from Active grade, and all new Prius now come with a leather-trimmed steering wheel. Active and Business Edition have a new-style 15-inch alloy wheel, which can also be specified as an option for Business Edition Plus and Excel grade models in place of the 17-inch wheels. Finally, Autumn Silver has been added to Prius’s colour palette.

13 hours ago, kevin h said:

dealers leave a bit to be desired:

They still said "No CD player",  but hey presto, there is one

I asked them to turn of the reverse beeper, they turned off the sensors, they offered to fix the problem on Tue, but I managed to sort it myself

Two issues, that they can't answer straight away:

1     Rain sensor wipers are coming on even if no rain, dealer is confused because there is no "Auto" setting on the stick, but there is what I believe to be the "sensor setting" (Little window-screen picture with jet of water). is there a way that we, the owner, can possible change the sensitivity.  Dealer want the car on Tue, but some of us have to work and they will only provide a courtesy car at a cost.

2    Trying to get to the setting part to switch such things a RSA on and off. How do you get to that point.  I have achieved it on two occasions, but when I try to follow the same steps, i sometimes find that the menu is not there.

Other than that, all is good.  Tomorrow will be my first commute to work, so lets see how the MPG compares to the Auris.

Auto (or intermittent) setting is 1 step down from off, push the stalk all the way up and release, you'll get a single wipe, then push the stalk one click down for auto. The sensitivity (or rate if intermittent wipers) is controlled by twisting the stalk clockwise (as viewed from the end of the stalk) for more sensitive and anti-clockwise for less.

Re the RSA, some of the menus have a scroll down feature that's easy to miss, don't ask me how I know :whistling:

from my dealer.

"Only the Excel has Auto Wipers", so supporting what I have, but not supported by the brochure which states that they should be.

I've raised an issue with Mr T.

In terms of the settings changes on the right side of the steering wheel, thing I sorted it with  a bit of dealer intervention.  Seems that I may have pushed a button once to many times, causing an apparent loss of the menu.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:57 PM, kevin h said:

Roll on tomorrow.  back to a Prius after trying out an Auris for a couple of years.  The Gen 3 was so much better, so hears hoping the Gen 4 is even better.

My dealer is still suggesting that there is no CD player, that could be interesting.

I bought the Gen4 Excel which also has a cd player, but to be honest, apart from playing a Diana Ross cd ("Take Me Higher") on the way home from collecting the car, I have not played a cd!

I did what others suggested and followed what they have done and put my music on a usb stick - so far got 755 tracks covering about 5gb on a 8gb stick, few more to add.

I can select music by genre, artist name, by CD title, shuffle etc. And the sound quality on the 10 speaker system is very good, but sure it is good on a 6 speaker system cause it was good in my Gen3.   Result - no need for a cd player.

thats interesting about playing music from USB stick. I only listen to music occasionally and speak to my Apple watch which then pulls any song from all time from Apple music and streams via iPhone bluetooth to the Prius Speakers

Thing is, I got 755 tracks that I like (and more to be added), but if I was to be able to speak into my phone to pull them out for playing I sure I wouldn't get past maybe a few dozen then my memory given up!  Sad I know ☹️

Going to France tomorrow and can't see a warning triangle in the car. Do they not come as standard?

Afraid not  no spare lamps or first aid either 

Thanks for reply Ian. Saves me stripping the interior panels in the boot looking 😁

Glad to help hope you enjoy the car